Sunday, August 14, 2005

Carnival @ Marina



Well, yesterday Van and I celebrated our 17th month together at Marina. I was quite indecisive about going, because although I did want to try something different, it'd be sweaty, humid and an uncomfortable outdoor outing. Haha! But in the end I couldn't come up with anything better to do, so we went to Marina.

Surprisingly I was 20 minutes early. Everyone knows that I'm prone to arriving late for meetings recently. I don't know why, but I'll try my best to be on time from now on. We walked around and the first place of interest was of course my CBRE defence place. At the Explosives defence tent, there were a few dogs. Van wanted to take a few photos with them. To my surprise, Theodore (who was on duty with Guo Fei and Jeffrey) came and asked me to wear the mask and have my photo taken with Van and the dog. It was kinda strange suggestion but I was game for it, and of course, a chance to show everyone how pro I am at slipping on the mask.



Seriously, I think the dog was a little freaked out by the mask. Or is it just me? Anyway, I jumped at the chance to take a photo with my mask on because there wouldn't be a chance to do that in the future I think. We aren't allowed to bring cameras and other such contraband items to camp. Sad. We walked around a bit more and there were a lot of armoured vehicles on display. We crossed the road and went over to the site where the Navy stuff were. However we hesitated and missed the last ticket to the last ferry that was going out to sea. Damn! A once-in-a-long-time-chance. We took a look at the stuff and then crossed over back to the main place.



We saw this row of Engineer icons and I was busy trying to find the one for 39SCE and it was right at the end. Protect and Preserve! I think the motto is quite cool really. It reminds me of our kulau boris thing which was the triple P - Protect, Preserve, Pioneers. Okay.

Van and I went to take a ride on one of the armoured vehicles and attempted to look for Zhi Wei. Apparently, that guy saw us long ago, but try as I could I couldn't spot him. At all. Despite knowing that he was driving #11. It was as if he was stalking me after that. Man! I saw a lot of NYJC people. Recognised them, but didn't know them. Most of them knew Van though. We then waited about 40 minutes for an adventure ride, which was hell cool. It was better than any amusement park ride that I ever took. I don't know the name of that vehicle, but it had no problem moving on uneven ground, through semi-swamp conditions and looked pretty intact when it banged into a tree. We got to take two rounds because... well, that's for me to know. That experience was the most satisfying, and made all the waiting worth it! It also gave Van the opportunity to feel how it was like to be wearing a helmet!

I went back to the CBRE booth to look for the guys to take a photo with them. I realised that I should've taken it with them earlier, because when I went back, the guys weren't there any more. Sgt Chun Lei... or was it Sgt Chang Qi... oops, I can't remember his name, but he was the platoon 4 Sgt and he was damn nice. When he saw me around he knew I was looking for Platoon Sgt, who was on duty as well. He pointed to me the direction that PS was and I had another chat with PS. He really is very funny and easy going outside camp. It was in that rare moment (for me) that I got the chance to have a go talk with him. Anyway, I told him I wanted to take a photo with the guys then he asked me to call them. After searching, I realised that I didn't have any of their numbers and so he lent me his phone to call them. The three of them were having toilet break and I felt quite bad to make them rush back. PS added that all I had to say was that he asked them back for a photo!



Now that's a pretty good photo moment yeah? Taken very nicely by Van (I think her photographic skills improved since playing around with my digicam), I did quite a bit of waiting till all of them were free. It wasn't busy being on duty. They had to sacrifice their weekend and on top of that help out at the display where people'd come and try the suits and request their assistance in phototaking. Another reason why I went down was because I felt it would be nice to put up a photo like this on the noticeboard too. So, we took another photo...



After that, we said our goodbyes and Van and I went to Suntec. It was really very enjoyble walking around there. Luckily we didn't go to Bugis in the end. We went to the BK at Millenia and had an enjoyable time just enjoying each others' presence.

Oh Van if you're reading this... Happy 17th Month!

No comments: