Thursday, June 30, 2011

What Kylie Means

q01

I first got acquainted with Kylie in 2000, with Spinning Around. Since then it's been hit after hit and she has built her reputation with her touring and more often than not, interesting music videos!

I bought her first tour DVD, Showgirl: The Greatest Hits Tour (2005) in which she performed songs that I was unfamiliar with. They went on to become my absolute favourites - Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi (1988), Hand On Your Heart (1989), Shocked (1991), What Do I Have To Do (1991), Confide In Me (1994). She brought them all to life on that tour... along with some indisputable global sensations like Can't Get You Out Of My Head (2001).

And so armed with slightly more than 10 years of anticipation and knowledge of Kylie's work that spanned almost 24 years, I was finally able to witness her, live, on her Aphrodite World Tour at the Singapore Stadium last night.

Indeed, she was incredible. And incredibly enough, she could possibly have pulled off an acoustic set if she wanted. No doubt, she's no Adele, but she more than competent with her singing. She had an ah lian part where she came out with her feather boa and mini-shorts for a rousing I Should Be So Lucky during the request segment. She also did a ballad where she sang, "if you don't love me anymore..." and the audience kept screaming "we love you Kylie!". Having seen other videos of this on youtube I feel that the Singapore crowd was really disruptive and warm and enthusiastic... it was amazing!

q02

But the highlight for me was a slow-jammed / jazz remix of the already slow, delicious and tantalising, Slow. It got slower, nastier with her vocals positively dripping with sensuality, purring, growling... and then it went down, down, down, down, down and burst into its pulsating, massive, electro sound of the original.

My mind could not handle such wonderfulness in musicality.

Needless to say, the set design and costumes were extravagant and the feast for the eyes. So were the dancers. I will leave you with more photos, here, courtesy of Weetz. Can't wait for the DVD of this tour, which is slated for release later this year.

One of the few artistes to have hits spanning the 80s, 90s, 00s, and now 2011... She was really magnificent and seasoned. I hope I get the chance to see her live again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hand On My Heart!!! OOoo i love that too :)

Great review here :)

jason kyh said...

heyyyy! =)) thanks!