Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I've Learnt

2011's coming to an end so it's time to look back, reflect. I'm grateful for having the opportunity to grow up, for picking my own battles... something which I have been able to do upon entering university. And in the course of this year, I've gone from being an undergrad to a working adult! More paths to take, more to discover, more to learn.

And maybe it'd be apt to look at what I've learnt this year.

I've learnt that music is not what I thought it to be. I've enjoyed stuff that's less mainstream. It doesn't matter if other people don't listen to the same thing. But that's not to say I've neglected Pop. Was still singing to almost every song that charted on Billboard during mahjong yesterday!

I've learnt that I'm a team-player. I surprised myself earlier this year by being able to pull my weight in the project. It gave me confidence to get things done and was a really great experience because of how tough it was. I'll never forget packing endless goodie bags, or staying up for 48 hours to finish the report!

I've learnt that I'm not the most hardworking person. I'm not the most creative person. Inspiration and effort comes in spurts. With some focus I can channel it and maybe something great will come out of it! I can be hardcore when I need to!

I've learnt that as much as I enjoy sports and exercise, I've plateaued no thanks to the fact that I haven't been very adventurous nor extremely dedicated. But I'm thankful that I've found people who'll motivate me to take it to the next level. I foresee that next year will be more exciting, with events such as the Urbanathlon lined up. Not getting any younger and this will be the most physically fit that I'll ever be. I only have now. And I'm going to make sure that now = my best.

I've learnt earlier on how to manage money and time. I've always been big on planning and scheduling. Packing lots of activities. Purchasing lots of stuff with my tuition money! I haven't achieved it yet, but I'm on the cusp of the next step - prioritising. Knowing that I don't need to have it all. Knowing that doing nothing is sometimes, everything.

I've learnt that relationships are tough. There're people whom I were inseparable with earlier in the year that I don't talk to now. There're new people that I enjoy getting to know. Yes, relationships. Sometimes, it's about being persistent. Maybe being together is never knowing when to let go.

I've learnt that I've a lot to learn. I've been pushing for myself to see the world, to understand cultures, to accept a different way of life, to find out different perspectives, to realise that what I know is not enough. It's important to be like a sponge, to put yourself in the best position to learn - to not get comfortable, to not be overconfident.

More often than not learning is painful and frustrating. But it keeps you on your toes. That's what life's about. And it's that's what I want to continue to do in 2012.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing is greater than the school of life! Put yourself out there at work, in r/s and in life, and you will only get richer with experience and smarts. :) All the best to more learnings in 2012!

W

Tan said...

Hit upon yr blog this week while searching for Urbanathlon fotos (my 2nd). Altho I am twice yr age, I really enjoy yr blog entries. This post "I've Learnt" in particular, somehow lifted my spirits when I was feeling down recently. You write very well and now you prob got an "unwanted" fan. :-) cheers!

jason kyh said...

Hi tan,

Thanks for your kind words! =) I really enjoy writing and it's great that you like it. Surely there aren't unwanted fans! Everyone's welcome. Really appreciate you dropping by, quite curious to see who you are! haha... Cheers!

Tan said...

Thanks, Jason. A little insomnia here after abt 2hr sleep. Just don't be shocked if one day a short plump uncle popped up to say hi to u at an event. Has signed up a few running events. Have this passion for running since doing my first scsm 10K in 2005. Thanks again and take care.

tan said...

URun 2156

jason kyh said...

what's this urun 2156??