Sunday, January 16, 2011

Being A Teen Again

I've been pissing my parents off, telling them that I will not a get a (proper) job until 2012.

Of course I'm not completely sure if that's what I will do. But I'm considering it.

My parents tell me that I shouldn't waste time. Get a head-start. The economy's good. It might not be the same six months later. If I find a job, I might get a small bit of bonus by the year's end. The beginning is always important, they say, and getting a good start might possibly be everything.

But I don't want to jump straight into working life. I've got the rest of my life to work! I want to figure out I want to do. I want the chance to try stuff, maybe make some mistakes along the way. I know where this rebelliousness comes from. Possibly from my parents making all the decisions for me growing up. Which is great because I'm somewhat sheltered. And quite happy. And it's quite selfish but all this time, especially the past 4 years, I've been rebelling just because I never really did before.

And learning, like I never learned before.

I'm sure they're not holding it against me but they like to bring up examples. Examples of accountants who had gotten jobs 6 months before they graduated. Of times when I should've secured a scholarship and learned something more useful and maybe more valuable. It's only natural for them to worry about money I guess. I guess people don't talk about such things but it's always on their minds.

I don't regret it though.

With more time comes more experience and more wisdom. I just want the chance to find out what the future holds, on my own.

01

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i spy....

a britney song title!!!!!!!!!!!

you can't be that obsessed with it hahaa.
w

jason kyh said...

hahaha! might have been influenced but not obsessed lah. the initial CRAZY has worn off liao!