Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Older and Wiser

The one thing that's fantastic about getting older, is becoming wiser.

I was with an old friend yesterday. He looked as young as I last saw him. I, on the other hand, have aged visibly. Thankfully I still don't look my age but if it accelerates I might actually look 30 by the time I become 30!

He directed me in a play (that was meant for public eyes) and made me jump through hoops there were challenging and unexpected. I did lots of things that were out of my comfort zone and looking back, it changed my life.

It was strange too, looking back and knowing that I was a rather different person back then. We like to believe that we make the best decisions at that moment but there really isn't any other way to find a better solution until you've made mistakes, or gone through a tough time. I would have done so many things differently. I would've been more confident of myself. I would love myself more. Hahaha... shit this sounds like a confession. I would learn how to take opinions in my stride. I would have tried harder.

And all that... I can't differentiate if I'm talking about my acting in the play or my life in general. They're all so blurry and kind of meshed together... my work and my life!

I've always told myself I will stop acting. This is the last time. That's the last time. But I've done a short clip for Nessie/Jacq/Mel's FYP. I got the opportunity to cameo as an undercover cop being a student beating someone up for Lyon/Pamy/Wenxu/Danielle's FYP. On Friday I will act in Christine/Zhenwei/MingXiu/YiLing's FYP for their campaign.

After 8 semesters in CS I think I can compile a showreel of my (crappy) acting. I quite like the idea! That I've done fun stuff and it's something to look back and have a good laugh about.

Kinda like life. Just go in there, get your hands dirty. You might be bad at it. But it could be fun.

01

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

whee your friend who looks just as young here. :D

don't worry la, it's only that part of you that looks older, everything else still can pass! ;)

Anonymous said...

Compile that showreel! I want to see!! :)

Weetz

Anonymous said...

good idea to do showreel leh!

- Shi Fu

jason kyh said...

mike> HAHA thank you. i will take steps to ensure that I do not look 30 when i turn 30.

weetz> CANNOT LAH im not good at editing video and i dont have all the footage! maybe i can compile an entry with links. then i can cringe.

shi fu> why wld i want to see my terrible acting all in one place ah! HAHAHAHAHA!