Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Island



Today, Mak and I caught the 10 AM showing of The Island!

Anyway, we met at 840 at Woodlands MRT station and luckily, I was on time. And when he gave me a warning call that he was going to come out of his house, I had already left home. We took the train to Junction 8. It was great to meet him again after quite some time. I can't even remember the last movie we watched! I think it was The Incredibles. He looks fitter thanks to his OCS training. Okay, he was fit to begin with.

We wanted to buy the tickets at first but it wasn't open, so we went to Mcdonalds to have Big Breakfast. It was pretty good, probably because I hadn't had it in such a long time. We chatted mostly about army stuff. After that we went up to find that the cinema was still not opened and so we went to Cristofori to look around for awhile. The pianos there are beautiful. But I guess I've to up my skills in it before getting a real good one in the future.

After that we went to catch the movie and we were planning on sharing popcorn and drink but since we had a voucher, it was cheaper and he went out to get another set after we entered the cinema. We caught quite a lot trailers but we didn't see the one for Mindhunters. I saw it last time and it looked pretty scary. We've decided to go catch it on the coming Sunday. Crazy!

Enter The Island!



I'm giving this movie a 5 star rating (over 5!). 2 for originality of plot, 2 for the action-packed scenes and length of the movie, and the last one for my favourite actor, Ewan Mcgregor. Fab stuff.

Basically the movie is about clones being aware of their existence and the whole movie revolves around that. It makes all the GP essays about the morality of cloning come to life in this humungous blockbuster that's the best thing I've seen all year! Scarlett Johansson and Ewan Mcgregor act as clones who've managed to escape the whole set up. They were ignorant of the outside world and this movie showcases them facing the real world, where life isn't as simple as it seems. The story might be a bit draggy for some, but it leaves nothing unexplained. The plot is made very clear.



The movie can be split into 3 parts. The introduction, the escape and the rescue. All three are entertaining. The surprising part is when you think that the entire movie might end, it continues to plough on till all the clones are free. I had the shivers when I saw the clones freed and roam the open land.

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

Outrageously fast paced and stimulating emotionally and intellectually, this is a movie not to be missed. I have a feeling it won't turn out to reap tonnes of money, but the effort put in by the cast and crew to produce this movie should be recognised. The Island for the Oscars! Well, maybe not because I don't know about the old-fogeys' tastes, but as far as I am concerned, this movie ranks as one of my favourites ever! Watch it!

As usual, 2 photos of the leads in the movie. Lookin' good!

No comments: