Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Taking Photogaphy

So I bought a Canon EOS 600D yesterday. It wasn't for myself, but it was for the company. Which reminds me that claiming my money will be a long-drawn process.

I was excited to purchase my first DSLR! Granted, I have limited knowledge and I didn't really know what to look out for. But the feeling of splashing over a thousand dollars on something other than my laptop was incredible!

I've always had a slight interest in photography and it's nice to have a chance to actually develop it in my course of work. My friends exclaimed on facebook and asked why the camera was on company money and I replied, "As NatSteel has decided to invest in my talents as e official photographer... So that I can be a more valuable asset to the company." This is, in a way true! I'm grateful to be given the opportunity to expand my job scope and to learn a new skill.

I've had the chance to fiddle around with my bosses DSLR and had to photograph several activities. I realise that good photography is equal parts luck and equal parts skill, for me as a beginner anyway! Maybe someone with better skill could compensate when lacking in luck! I could get the sharpest image, best lighting - but if the subjects are frowning, the picture becomes crap. Other reasons for all these action / event shots to become crap - someone swinging his arm into the frame unknowingly; people moving too fast; people whose faces look strange in mid-speech. The list goes on.

I've taken 260 photos for today's CSR at the National Museum of Singapore. I know I will only have the resources ((Intranet, Bulletin, E-mail) to showcase 40 of them and I've to pick the best, which would speak more of my skill, than having quantity over quality.

Maybe I'm taking this a bit too seriously! It's fun, but at the same time, it's my job.

Mixing business with pleasure.

No comments: