Sunday, July 08, 2012

This Body of Mine

It gets on my nerves when people comment on my physique, thinking that I need to look a certain way, that I'm too scrawny and I need to bulk up.

With me it has always been function over form. I want my body to be able climb mountains, to react to danger, to play sports, to run marathons, to carry groceries. 

Yes, I may be vain at times. But I'm at the point in my life that the "look" isn't such a big deal any more. 

There's so much more to fitness and sports than fitting perfectly into a T-shirt. There's so much to be gained from pursuing passion, standing for something, displaying sportsmanship and from there, celebrating the human spirit. I respect my peers for being interesting, changing things up, keeping at it and not giving up. One of my friends is an avid runner. From participating in every single race I've heard, to travelling to Australia for a marathon and ending up in hospital, he is the kind of guy I respect. He has a story. His journey has meaning. His spirit is inspiring.

What I put my body through will not be for vanity. It'll be because I like being active. I'd like to let people know that they can push themselves more. I want to stand for something. It's the one thing that I had with me since I was young; it's the only thing that will be with me till I die. This body, bones, muscles, scars and all, is my temple. 

What I achieve with it will always be more important than how it looks. 

No comments: