Friday, May 28, 2010

A Little Nostalgic

I went back to NTU two days ago to submit some forms.

The bus was rumbling at its usual annoyingly slow pace into the compound. I hated the ride in. I haven't been back in six months. That hasn't changed.

When I alighted at Can A, I saw NIE. The place was where I took all my drama modules. I thought of all the fun I had. I wondered if I learned anything. Then I went to the wrong Office of Finance, I had to walk a hell of a long way to the Student Services Centre. I thought of the old Can A, before they had the air-conditioned one. I thought about getting lost in the North Spine. I climbed the steps that seemed to lead to the sky. I walked that long stretch of road. I saw shoes outside this room and there were people praying I think. I've never seen that before. I saw those pink flowers, the place where I took my OG to play games during FOC. I thought of how brilliant I was as an OGL. I thought about how happy moments were somewhat short-lived but how they stay with you forever. I went up to the building and submitted my forms. And came down. I walked down the steps leading to Hall 2. I remembered that I went there looking for a toilet. Then I realised that Hall 2 had toilets in their rooms rather than a common one. Like Hall 12. I walked some more, past the volleyball court. I saw myself playing there with my friends for my school. It was kind the corny flashback that you would see in movies. That's how I saw myself. I continued walking past Can 2. I thought of the porridge at Can 1.

And I arrived at the bus stop, waiting for 179 again.

I never remembered much about actually studying there. But the moments I had fun, those were the moments I felt for the most. I worked hard during the years I was there. And yes, the things I worked for were almost never academic. It was my home for so long, especially the 2 years that I stayed in hall. I never left, even for summer holidays. I relished having my own place. When I no longer stayed I had a new awesome group of friends who'd have Laksa Thursdays with me. The jokes and laughter and comfort of familiar company was what I felt when I walked through the school.

I have one more year and it will possibly never beat the years where I was really involved in non-academic activities. But it's one more year to spend in school as a student. After that, there'll be no turning back.

01

No comments: