Monday, September 27, 2010

Glam Nation

The weekend has come and gone. Singapore's certainly exciting this week. It taught me that the best things are the spontaneous ones. I learned to go with my instincts. I learned to be a bit more spontaneous. I also acquired a Taiwan-English accent and improved my Chinese a little! Such are the joys of going with the flow.

Mahjong on Friday was unplanned. It was one of our most exciting games to date and I had fun hanging out with them. Even got my Spreedom stuff from Louis, amongst them a pair of Wayfarers to replace the one that broke in Phuket.

Slept at 7 and woke up at 10 for tuition. Taught two lessons and then got news that another Louis managed to get tickets for F1 and so his brother queued for passes and bought one for me. Rushed down from Woodlands at 5, chomped down a Big Mac and entered Zone 3 with sauce still on the side of my mouth. The place was buzzing with excitement and the crowd was international.

Daughtry was singing the moment we got there. He wore a batman T-shirt and looked like a superhero on stage. He was passionate and bursting with energy. It was wonderful to see him perform. And so we sang along. Yeah it feels like tonight, I'm going home to a place where I belong, IT'S NOT OVER.

Then for four hours we waited. I went to the toilet. On the way to the toilet a white maxi cab drove by this road which had restricted access. Possibly because there were portable toilets. And then I saw this pale faced woman staring out, smiling. Then she did a little wave and in that moment, the light bulb came on and I went "OMYFUCKLAMBERT!?".

When he finally took the stage, a bruise had developed on my ankle from my Timberland boots. For Your Entertainment played and we screamed and as he took the stage, my mind as blown. Song after song he sang, with effortless vocal gymnastics and this mad presence. He didn't walk, he strutted. He didn't sing, he belted. Every move was so energetic, so flamboyant, so hiao! Even when I had no voice I was screaming. Even when my feet hurt I was jumping. The crowd never let up, especially during Wataya Want From Me and If I Had You.

I was thankful that nobody snapped a photo of my because I might have looked rather deranged.

He looked positively delighted to be on stage, possibly at the fact that he kissed his bassist on stage and thus turning Singapore into a glam nation.

And that, was my wonderful weekend spent making conversation that was drowned by roaring engines and rock music. I say the weekdays are meant to be spent resting so we can party during the weekends. And I'm looking forward to the next one already!

01

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"He didn't walk, he strutted. He didn't sing, he belted" Love this line! Well done!, :)

Weetz

jason kyh said...

WAHAHA thank you! i wrote until 2am lor aiyo. i read urs and i was inspired!