Sunday, March 27, 2011

Embracing the Future

I visited the dentist this week.

The dentist happens to be my granduncle, whom I've never met.

I dislike visiting the dentist because they never have anything good to say about my teeth. When I was younger, the one in school always scolded me. I dreaded lying almost horizontally with my mouth open, feeling vulnerable.

It wasn't different this time. My teeth are a mess so I'm sure by opening my mouth, I would already be a dentist's nightmare. If there's one thing I hate about how I look, it's my teeth. I remember standing on stage and someone took a photo of me from below. I could see a tooth stuck awkwardly behind my top row of teeth and every since then I've been conscious about opening my mouth really wide, or cameras shooting from below while filming video clips.

A recent example would be the one I did for Put Your Heel Down. It's my own nightmare looking at my teeth.

The dentist cleaned up my teeth and chided my inadequate brushing technique. I took an X-ray of my teeth, twice, because the first time the assistant didn't load the film. They got a mould of my teeth. The material that I sank my teeth in tasted like minty chewing gum. When I turned, I could see my X-Ray held against the light and indeed, it looked scary. My wisdom teeth were horizontal (if I understood correctly what I was looking at) and the dentist mentioned that I would have to remove them sooner or later.

But before that, before he puts the braces, he would have to extract at least 4 teeth. This will happen on the 6th April. And I need to bring 1.6k along as a downpayment.

I'm not looking forward to this entire process. It sounds nasty. But hopefully with every visit I will become less insecure about my teeth.

Can't wait to finally get this started and then, out of the way.

01

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, like nat ho you... wearing braces... :) but yes, for the better in the future lah...

w

jason kyh said...

hahah yeah lor i think it's better in the future also. but for the next two years i cant imagine. argh!