Sunday, July 24, 2011

The First Weekend

"Powerpack your Friday nights. Step on it and accelerate to the max! Dinner, movies, drinks and clubs. Chiong. Then Sat pace a little, chill and glide on. Then come Sunday, unwind and recharge and sail out on the momentum of the weekend high." Weetz, 2011.

w01

Friday evening kicked off with meeting the interns from my internship at SPF. We met the rest of our department who were prawning with moderate success at Hai Bin! But it didn't really matter, as we sat down and gossiped and caught up with each other. It was fantastic seeing them all again. Made new friends and reconnected with old ones. I was particularly happy that we got along brilliantly despite not seeing each other for a year. Also met my junior from CS and I was glad to know that he was doing well interning there. Heineken, prawns, conversation... a warm fuzzy feeling.

Saturday was spent earning money instead of spending it! Tuition went well though. I see it as nurturing the next generation in my own little way. Poisoning them with my slightly unconventional and un-teacher-like views while explaining how to write a narrative and how to do QA for Chemistry. I've been doing it so long, it's almost effortless in a way.

Sunday. Bridesmaids. After letting it all sink in, maybe it isn't that funny! There's a lot of toilet humour, but female-style, so that's something that I've never seen before! But the rather original script and solid comedy-acting by a stellar cast made it a very enjoyable experience that was worth its weekend ticket price. The inclusion of Hold On at the end was wonderful! I am almost inspired to start tuning in to Class 95!

And then I did something that I've never done before. I went to sing karaoke. Alone! The feeling of being one with music and lyrics, of the entire body being an instrument - incredible! 2 hours, uninterrupted. I was partly inspired when listening to Jolin's discography the other day and I realised how much I missed singing and how Chinese lyrics could express emotions and thoughts in an incredibly beautiful way. So I spent the evening alone but connected! Connected to a world of composers, lyricists, singers. A solo concert for an audience of one - myself!

And that's how I spent the first weekend upon starting work.

I'm so going to regret sleeping late just to write this entry.

1 comment:

esotism said...

I was so happy when Britney's I've Just Begun was played during Bridesmaids.

Also, here I am lamenting the fact that I haven't had my karaoke fix for months and there you go singing alone!