Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fernvale Gardens School

e01

Last Friday I was at Fernvale Gardens School for the intellectually disabled, doing CSR. It was organised by the teacher-in-charge, myself and two of my colleagues.

I used to think that CSR was more lip-service but I couldn't have been more wrong.

We spent about 2 weeks before preparing the games and getting prizes. When we went down and were given the chance to interact with the kids... it was amazing and it made everything worth it. Most importantly they had fun and really enjoyed themselves, which was something I didn't expect. My experience with kids in general is that they can be difficult, regardless, and very particular about what they like and what they don't.

I guess they had fun because the volunteers went out of their way to engage them. I thought that maybe for some it'd be their first time, and like me, maybe they'd be a bit apprehensive. But they were amazing - every bit as nurturing, helpful and fun-loving or more, than I expected them to be.

I enjoyed a great afternoon with them, my colleagues and the kids.

I realised what I wanted to see in myself and what makes me happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should consider joining mr lim and become mr knor!

jason kyh said...

that might happen! never say never... haha...