Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Westlife: Gravity Tour

t01

The only Westlife CD that I ever bought was the "When You're Looking Like That" single. I was all for upbeat tunes, I was the kid who was anti-ballads. I was fond of Westlife but I was never a huge fan. They were formidable and were insanely popular. As I always say, you don't argue with popularity.

Back in Singapore for their fourth concert yesterday, it was the first time I've seen them live and I promise that I will watch them when they're back again. They were that good.

Of course I've to thank my sister for giving me the tickets and Singapore Sports Council for giving her the tickets. And Edric for being game and going with me.

You see, Westlife appeals to a certain kind of audience. They no longer have a huge teen fanbase. Their biggest hits were definitely in the past. They started the concert with really nostalgic tracks... They did World of Our Own, My Love and Seasons in the Sun. They weren't overly choreographed and looked delighted to be performing. In the past I'd have brushed them off as an act that you'd hear on the CD but never want to see them on stage. I take that back. They were like The Warblers, but better. Amazing stuff.

They did a medley of covers, Viva La Vida, Only Girl (In The World), The Time (Dirty Bit) (WHAT A CRAZY/CHEESY DANCE THEY DID FOR THIS) and ended it off with Bad Romance. Unexpected. My mind was blown.

They ended with What About Now, an awesome track, which was their own, but maybe Daughtry did a slightly better job of it, and then Uptown Girl, which I thought was a waste. No Swear It Again?

They looked as charmismatic as ever, and there's a certain magic about a band that can stick together since the release of their first single in 1999. They have my respect and I'll be a Fool Again if I don't attend their concert the next time they drop by Singapore.

No comments: