Sunday, March 11, 2012

Act of Valor

ee01

I don't enjoy war movies. But left with nothing much left and Hollywood putting a stop to their ridiculously formulaic rom-coms, I decided to put my money on a this blockbuster and go with the flow.

Enter Act of Valor. The production did not disappoint. It was war weaponry galore, showing off the latest technology and equipment that the US defense force had to offer. The scenes were extremely realistic and the pacing of the action, brilliant. The rescue bit was particularly intense and so were the raids that followed. Each mission was cinematic poetry in motion - my heart must have stopped a couple of times. The portrayal was excruciatingly real - these soldiers weren't superhumans, they weren't invincible. I felt their determination and their pain to the point that I had to make the effort to detach myself emotionally from the movie!

The narrative however, wasn't particularly brilliant, with backstories of the characters inserted rather haphazardly throughout the movie. According to critics, that was the downfall for this film.

I beg to differ. The cast of non-famous actors as well as soldiers from the US military brought the war on terrorism to life and it was heartbreaking to watch. It didn't glamorise violence nor made it cool. The soldiers gave their lives so others could live.

The movie challenged me to think of my purpose in life. I could never be so selfless and brave but am I doing enough to make a difference to the people around me? Are we all too caught up in superficial ideals? Shouldn't we have something to fight for?

And sometimes the best relationships are forged from the most trying situations. So are the toughest people. The image of the soldier throwing himself over the grenade will forever be etched in my mind.

No comments: