Thursday, March 08, 2012

Somewhere Only We Know

Everyone needs a safe place to make mistakes and grow. I was just talking to this kid today who sort of reminded me of myself.

I never thought of myself as the leader. I was more comfortable following. I think I make a decent follower too. I like being a team-player more than I like have the glory. I enjoy the experience of working with others on a project more than the success that follows.

But in life sometimes you end up having to make decisions for yourself. The process can be trying and annoying but it's great to know that you were the master of your destiny. You took the path chose. And that's the cool part about life. I'll never be able to sure that I get what I want but I can take the best option with all the knowledge I have at that moment and hope for the best.

It comes with practice. I would never have gotten here without being treated like a leader before I was ready to take on the role. I was never a natural in decision-making, in getting people to listen to me. I've really got to thank my education institutions, especially in my later years, for giving me the chance and molding me.

And it was then that I had opportunities to learn about myself. My leadership style. How I react under stress. What I valued. My decision-making process.

One thing though that has come naturally to me is nurturing others. And Librans crave equality, for people, who are on par with them, to keep them constantly challenged but never overpowering or smothering, always encouraging and positive. But that's for me and I'm lucky to have found people like that in my life. That's why, at the same time, I like giving people that extra push to help them achieve whatever it is they want. It's this same need that extends to why I enjoy teaching tuition but in the larger scheme of things, I'm glad to be able to give some of the younger folks I know some advice, a safe environment to make mistakes and a chance to see their decisions bear fruit and come to life.

Let's go for an adventure. Try something new, together. Bravely, we'll see what we can achieve.

No comments: