Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Travel Philosophy

Travelling, for most people, might be about getting away from reality and removing themselves from monotony. They want to relax and not have to think about anything.

But when I go overseas, I've come to expect something rather different altogether. I'm not looking for luxury or comfort. My senses are heightened - I'm greeted by sights that I have never seen and the chatter of a language that's unfamiliar. I try my best to take in everything, make notes in my head and investigate things that intrigue me. I want to do things I can't do normally - take risks, explore and challenge myself. It's always a challenge, doing things in another territory, speaking and relating to people with a different background. Because everything is new, you feel like you're learning all the time.

It's an amazing feeling.

Going overseas is all about being immersed in a different environment, a different culture. For me the WOW factor is never this is pretty or that is gorgeous. It's seeing a different way of life. Knowing not to take the good stuff in my life for granted is one thing I often take away. The other thing is going through the trip knowing that I'm made of tougher stuff, that I can go on when things get rough. Also, there's a lot to learn from the spirit from others and what they make of their life - their values, their beliefs. I like the feeling of being enriched when I travel, something that comes with being out of your comfort zone.

But then again, being out of your comfort zone is tiring! I'm not sure if I will feel well-rested, physically or mentally. But one thing's for sure - I'll be refreshed with a new perspective.

No comments: