Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Men's Health Urbanathlon 2012

Took part in my first Urbanathlon last Sunday! 9 obstacles, 14km. Here goes:

q01

Wall Street - I was initially quite worried about this obstacle but it turned out to be relatively easy. Derek and I didn't really know how to train for it and did a few silly exercises, pulling ourselves up on random walls/bars. It's easier than the low wall in SOC, but maybe because of the weight I was carrying.

q02

Barriers to Entry - Slightly more challenging. We were full of energy when we approached this so we went at it as quickly as we could. Climbed over and went under, over, under...

q05

Quantum Leap - This was rather similar to the obstacle before, but it's slightly higher. After having ran a considerable inclined distance up Fort Canning, I could feel the ache in my thighs as I pushed myself over the barricades. Intense.

q06

Monkey Business - This was rather funny as we've never done it before so we went at it with all our arms' strength! I don't know where you can practise getting across monkey bars the wrong way. Super fun. Enjoyed using upper body strength after exhausting my legs.

q03

Frame Works - This is kind of like a metal jungle playground. Had to balance a little and at some parts there were less platforms and you had to be rather alert, balancing on the poles while pulling yourself through the obstacle. This was interesting because by then I was a small bit tired from all the running. Close to 9km by that time I think!

q07

The Network - Also reminded me of a kid's playground, in the most awesome way. Didn't have any trouble with this one. Scrambled and stretched my limbs out across the net and just went for it. Coming down was a little harder and I was at the centre part where it was less taut but I tightened my grip and made quick work of it.

q04

Corporate Ladder - This was a huge challenge for everyone but I did better than expected. Nearing the end it was all about stamina, a runner's race. Climbing stairs is relatively simple but really draining. I attacked this one with great rigor. I knew that the faster I finished it the easier it would be. It required great concentration, especially on the way down. The view was amazing too!

q08

Tyred Out - It was another one of those obstacles where you had to keep your balance in check and use your arms and legs to get yourself through it. I had fun with this one too!

q09

Down & Dirty - This was possibly the most anticipated obstacle - most hyped even! I planned to throw my shoes away after having done this (which I did). It was quite a downer, however, when we had to stand in the queue for a rather long time just to do this obstacle. While waiting, one of the athletes in the mud container threw mud at the rest of us, all in good fun. But we lost quite a lot of momentum here even though it was thrilling splashing in the mud and having to heave oneself through.

And after the race:

q10

q11

q12

q13

Paid quite a lot for this and must say that it's worth every cent! There won't be anything like this till the next Urbanathlon and there's a great sense of satisfaction upon completing this race. In a long distance run, usually my brain shuts off towards the end - I can only tell myself to breathe and to maintain my stride. With this, however, I'm constantly challenged to get through the obstacles that come my way.

I will be taking part in it again next year.

This race gave me great motivation and preparing for it was half the fun! All thanks to Firus and Derek who trained with me consistently, from long distance runs to static stuff, we made every session count. It's amazing to have completed the race and I'm really proud that we did it together.

A huge thank you to Men's Health and Run Society for the photos.

Next up: U Run this Sunday!

No comments: