Sunday, March 20, 2005


It was a lazy afternoon and all of us were worn out from waiting for something to happen. We were in this place with wooden flooring, hiding from the hot sun. Almost everyone was sprawled on the floor, asleep. While we were eating some Myanmar food, there was a boy who sat down close to us, looking at us eat. I wanted to say hello to him, but I was shy myself. I gave him a nod and a small smile.

He nodded back.

A connection.

I continued eating with my teammates. The food tasted somewhat unfamiliar. I decided to take a step further and offered the boy some food from our plate. He hesitated for a moment, before taking a piece from it. He smiled slightly. He wasn't desperately thankful or anything like that. Just a smile to acknowledge the food I offered him.

There were three cakes and we celebrated Jane's birthday. The cake was piled full with cream, just the way I liked it. I finished my share.

The boy sat there, still, not moving. I wondered if he was looking at us. I was unsure. Then it struck me that I should just share our food with him because we couldn't finish it anyway. Clumsily, I took the plate of food and walked two steps over to sit facing him. I motioned for him to take the food. I could tell he was as shy and uncertain as I was. We were nothing more than strangers, yet at that time we had something in common; something to share.

We didn't talk because I didn't know how. Neither did he. I don't know why I feel so strongly that we shared a plate of food. I just know the magic was there. It was a wonder how a such a simple, every-day act touched me deep inside. It was friendship. I could sense it. Still, he was apprehensive, only taking a piece of it after I had taken one.

There were two pieces left. I turned around and suddenly one of it was gone. He'd taken one without me noticing. I looked at him and laughed. He pointed at the last one, and there was that mutual understanding. It was for me.

Posted by Hello

No comments: