Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Night Cycling II

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I'm thankful that the bus driver let us up the bus and got us to Marina, although he could probably have let us stop at the end instead of throwing us at the end of this trashy route. You could probably make out the hotel and Marina just behind. The rain was freezing cold, and hit us really hard. Anyway, we braved the rain and made it to shelter and bought some stuff to eat at 7-11. There were a lot of people just outside the place, drinking, playing truth-or-dare, and basically getting wasted. Young punks. We decided to go to a place with a better environment. It was still raining and we were cycling a little bit, and Jie Yu almost slipped when he made a sharp turn. The floor was freaking wet.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I've just realised that this photo is a tad blur. Anyway, we sat where the Esplanade was in view (I've taken a stand - it's an artistic and cool structure) and had our curry puffs and other stuff that we got from 7-11. We were thinking of what our options would be if it rained, but as it turned out, it didn't stop raining. So we just sat there... and waited.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And listened to music from his mp3 player. There's a mix of a whole lot of good stuff, songs that were old and new. Finally it was about 6 and the buses had started their services already. We decided not to wait any more and take our chances to get back to his place. I had tuition at 1045 and work at Sony, so I wanted a few hours of shut eye, no matter how measly.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We went to the Esplanade for the toilet (the last proper photo I took). After that we got rejected by buses, trains and cabs.

So we had the tough job of cycling all the way back at 633AM. It was rather insane because we knew we were going to be wet, the visiblity was a tad poor, and we were a little tired. Okay, it is kind of hard to feel tired when you're wet and shivering, so I was really very motivated to get back as soon as possible. We had to cycle at the side of the road, obviously, which was where all the puddles were. So as we did that, we created mini fountains with water splashing from the front wheel, and from the back wheel to my back, and of course all around my feet. My camera was still in my pocket, and I feared for its safety, but it was already too late. We just wanted to get back and rest, and take advantage of the fact that it was still early and that there weren't too many vehicles on the road.

Did I mention the amount of water actually coming from the sky?

It wasn't a thunderstorm but it was crappy enough to be cycling. The only up side about the whole thing was that it that the temperature was cold. That, I can handle. We made it past Little India and from then on, it seemed like the whole place was called Serangoon. I actually thought we'd be back soon, but there was Pasir Panjang and all the other weird places on the NEL line, before we actually reached back, dripping, but happy to be in one piece.

Something similar to the feeling after the 24km route march.

We took two photos of our wet selves, but they didn't turn out well, so I'll leave it to your imagination. Ooh, and my shoes were wet. I didn't have time to go home to change because of my work commitments so I wore them for the entire day, which is why my feet still stink faintly.

A harder scrub of dettol today should do the trick.

PS - A huge thank you to Chris who bought me the Levi's from Taiwan!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: