Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A, B, B

There was a mom who wrote into the Forum today when her daughter couldn't get in to local Uni based on her "above-average" results of A, B, E. I think it's safe to say that no A-level holder would say that her grades are above average. And do I hear "excelled in sports"? Judging from her letter I'd say that her daughter didn't really know where her priorities lied. And boasting that her son graduated from NUS in the last paragraph isn't going to change that! And let's just say that her grades happened to be a freak accident (which I highly doubt), and I were the mom, I'd be taking action and suggesting alternative routes for her than ask questions like, "Is being eligible not enough?"

How'd you think they choose people for jobs if they have the same qualifications?

It just frustrates me to see how people love to complain. I hate complaining; I do indulge and wallow in self-pity from time to time but I get up, dust it off and try again. I don't think that whining helps. People may say that she's just trying to highlight a "problem" and is asking for solutions. I suppose that the capacity of the universities is unlimited and they'd let any Theresa, Dorothy or Hannah into it.

So there's no incentive for the people who did better than her? Those who mugged endlessly day and night? Well, if she did that and she got this, it really says something about her abilities.

I sound like I have the mentality of one of those elitist students that ST did an article on not too long ago, but I simply believe in meritocracy.

I believe she deserves a chance, but she's just not ready for it yet. No one's going to stop her if she takes it again this year and gets triple A, right?

2 comments:

weetzdom tooth said...

hahah... why Theresa, Dorothy or Hannah, of all names? hahaa

jason kyh said...

Eh.. like Tom, Dick and Harry?