Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just Chill

I've been there before and I was looking for a different experience. Surprisingly, what I got was more of the same, just that I enjoyed it more. I did more planning than I ever did and I learned a lot from it.

0101

We stayed 4D3N at Nirwana Beach Club. It belongs to Nirwana Gardens, but instead of hotel rooms we stayed in quaint bungalows that were split into two rooms. There were forty such rooms with a view of the pond which was filled with lillies and fish. Occassionally we'd catch a glimpse of a monitor lizard. The biggest surprise came when we saw a kingfisher dive into the water for breakfast. It was really handsome but it only paused on a nearby branch for a moment before deciding to head elsewhere for a little more privacy.

0102

Lunch was at this outdoor place which reminded one of Cafe del Mar. It's part of Nirwana Beach Club and can be seen from the reception. It had a great sea view. Despite its less-than-luxurious decor and a menu with prices equal to Cafe del Mar (at Bintan Resorts everything is in Sing dollars), just being there made me relaxed.

We had lunch there. The curry chicken and BBQ chicken cost about $11 each. I'm no expert on food but they tasted awesome!

After that we made our way to Nirwana Gardens to check out their swimming pools and to book trips as well as massages. On the way we came across Nirwana Mini Zoo.

0103

The zoo wasn't there when I visited three years ago. It was thrilling to get up-close with the animals but I felt quite sorry for the birds of prey though. Although they were enclosed in a relatively large cage, it would hardly take them seconds to travel from one end of it to another.

0104

0105

When we arrived at the Nirwana Garden's reception, we tried to book Gunung Bintan Adventure Trek, which would take us through the rainforest and to the mountain itself. I'm guessing it's more of a hill though. Anyway they were fully booked for the weekend. I was desperate enough to try Monday, but it clashed with our ferry departure time.

I guess if I were to go early I'd really book in advance!

The booking for the massage went smoothly but if you are interested in going to Pasar Oleh Oleh, it might be better to book a massage there. A full Thai body massage costs about $31 while one at the hotel for head, shoulders and neck costs $25. The massage parlour might even pay for your trip down to Pasar Oleh Oleh, which, if you choose to make your way down yourself, would cost $6 per person.

In the evening we made our way down to The Kelong Restaurant. I didn't have a pleasant experience there the previous time. All I could remember about the food was that we complained non-stop about it! This time round though, the food was much better. We ordered Frozen Red Snapper, Lemon Chicken, Tom Yam Soup and two bowls of rice for $52. The Kelong Restaurant was on a kelong, obviously and we had our meal next to the wide open sea. It was absolutely surreal. After eating we were visited by a Gar - this fish with a head that looks like an alligator. I can't remember what kind of Gar it was though other than the fact that a curious ang moh couple asked the waiter about it!

We then made our way to Calypso Bar. I like the name "Calypso". It reminds me of that character in Pirates of the Carribean. It is in fact one of the sea nymphs in Greek mythology.

0108

The bar was an extension of the Kelong. As a result it felt like it was right smack in the middle of the sea.

0106

0107

We ordered by two Irish Cream and we were the only ones there! There were a few curious souls who walked all the way over but didn't stay. The two of us sat there and looked at the ocean, feeling the breeze on our faces. The view itself was something magical. You can't see much out there other than a couple of ships on the horizon. Despite the limited vision, the knowledge of the sea's vastness and that incredible distance made me feel like I was looking into infinity.

0109

And this is the view of The Kelong Restaurant from Calypso Bar.

After that one drink I was very very high. I think they put extra rum because we were the only ones who patronised the bar that night! Hahaha...

0110

Don't want to let you all see my face la, so damn red just from one drink. How pai seh.

01

No comments: