Sunday, August 29, 2010

Being Outdoors

I've put this entry about Kinabalu off long enough. I wanted to write something more "narrative-ish" but maybe I'll try doing this a bit more scrap-book-style.

The place that we stayed at was called Lavender Lodge. It was simple, relatively cheap, had common toilets and the nicest hosts.

t01

This is what a triple-sharing looks like.

t02

It has minimal furniture but I felt really at home. There was just enough space for us to hang our wet clothes and dump our stuff. They provided towels and bathrooms slippers.

t03

This is the view from our window! It's not one of the sea or a mountain range, but I like it. The air-con vents and random staircase that didn't seem to come from anywhere and didn't lead anywhere was... a rather unique sight. It was noisy as hell when rained pattered on the zinc roofs though.

t04

This noticeboard found just before the TV area was stuffed full of useful maps (such as this one of Kinabalu City) and hilarious jokes. I remembered one between a French and British guy. The French guy said that there was a woman's clitoris like a melon. And the British guy said that it was impossible cause that would just be too big and she wouldn't have been able to walk if it were! And the French guy said, "Aah, you English, always thinking about size" replied the Frenchman. "I was talking about the flavor!"

t05

Our simple breakfast every morning included toast and coffee or tea. It was served generously with hospitality, sugar, butter and jam. We got bananas and mangosteen on the last day. I was a bit sick of eating the same thing after the fourth morning but it was always exciting witnessing the bustling of activity in the morning.

t06

We headed down to Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal to take a ferry down to Sapi Island. Our host told us the breakdown of the cost and gave us a coupon. It came up to about $39 to get there. There was the ticket, followed by tax and some conservation tax that had to be paid by the island. It was a bit confusing but we managed to get everything we needed before waiting for the ferry.

t07

Jesselton Point had a great view and a wall depicting the growth of Kinabalu into the small city that it is now. I wish that it wasn't so blazing hot that we had to hide in the shade instead of sitting around and watching people walk past.

t08

The waiting was a bit bad and we were bored. However there was a Korean family nearby.

t09

Ness' boards the ferry like Superwoman, only hotter.

t10

I loved the journey to the island. My hair was a mess after that and so was Melvin's and Ness', except theirs were way more dramatic. I would like to put up a few pictures here but I would be smacked. So I have decided to keep them to myself for now or maybe upload them on facebook when I feel like it.

t11

People having a wonderful time eating on the island. The food was a bit expensive and there was BBQ and buffets but I think that one was catered. We had a bag of potato chips at Melvin's request and that was about $3 I think.

t12

We were silly and bought sunblock at the Ferry Terminal. Please. For the love of your skin and your youth. Bring sunblock. Also your wallet and money because it was rather expensive to buy sunblock at the Ferry Terminal.

t13

We took turns to go down to snorkel and see the fish. The water wasn't spectacularly clear and but there were a greater variety of fish than I remembered seeing in Phuket years ago. How is this related to a photo of me smiling into the camera? Er, well, we only got one pair of snorkel equipment so only two of us could go at any one time. And the other person had to look after stuff. So there.

t14

The view at the other end of the island.

t15

We waited for the ferry back at this dock. It was a bit chaotic. You've sort of got to trust that your ferry will come and at the same time not be shy to ask everybody and anybody about your ferry's arrival. Also holding on tightly to the receipt.

t16

And bring a camera to camwhore while waiting. The weather took a turn for the nasty as the sky became really dark, in stark contrast to the seemingly infinite amount of sunshine blasting its way to the island just a couple of hours ago.

t17

We spotted crabs and schools of fish and also these BLISTERING BARNACLES.

After that it rained but we ventured bravely out of our lodge and into the streets for shopping and food.

t18

Melvin was drenched and we were cold.

t19

And so we went to Starbucks for the first of three Starbucks visits that we would eventually make. The hot chocolate was awesome. Also I borrowed Melvin's cap.

t20

The not-high-rise buildings showed plenty of sky wherever we went. Sexy.

t21

We made our way to the markets that were facing the sea (along Jln Tun Fuad Stephens). If only it wasn't still drizzling like crazy we would've explored more and I wish I had a better camera too. The place was filled with sights and smells. It was fantastic. It reminded me of this narrow street hawker place that I visited in Phuket. I wasn't really game to try the food as my arms and legs started breaking out in rashes (thankfully they never reached my face) but I was dying to try some of the colourful beverages.

t22

This is the handicraft market that was beside all the other markets. It was rather stuffy and most of them were selling similar things. I must admit that I'm lousy at appreciating handicrafts and the fact that there were so many stalls were rather overwhelming! The place smelt strange too... like mysterious and exotic. And also stuffy.

t23

The pier stretched out for... erm, many metres (miles around would've been an exaggeration) and the view was picturesque. We weren't really hungry yet and it was too early to be drinking by the sea as it was not yet nightfall.

t24

We then went to this place at Asia City Complex for dinner. It was really crowded and the food was not half bad! There was nasi lemak but according to Ness the place was famous for its toast. The tea there was great too! We had a very satisfying meal after a lot of walking and made our way back early as we had to catch the 8AM bus for whitewater rafting.

For which I have no photos because my camera is not waterproof and so I didn't bring it along. It was tremendous fun going down the Padas River with the Riverbug. I hope I don't get lazy and get down to writing about it because it was quite an experience. Also, I should possibly start writing blog entries earlier and not have to go the bed at 3AM. Bah.

Good night.

01

No comments: