Saturday, November 27, 2010

Something New

Learning a new language is like riding a bicycle. It's crazy at the beginning, you don't know what you're doing, whether you can do it. It feels like either you can or you can't. And after you've got it it's like the most natural thing in the world.

At least that's how I feel while learning French!

At the beginning I don't know what the hell I was up to. Now I can form sentences with various combinations of words that I have learnt. I didn't think was possible before! Got a great sense of achievement when the prof liked our oral presentation on Wednesday and I've got a feeling that I will do decently well on the test that we got today.

I enjoy spending many hours learning French, looking at French words, reading them out loud, learning how to use them and how to spell them. It's one thing that I'm really passionate about this semester. I feel the difference learning something that I'm really interested in. It's been some time since learning has been so enjoyable.

Speaking of which, I read a great speech by a Valedictorian speaking out against "schooling" during her graduation.

"And now here I am in a world guided by fear, a world suppressing the uniqueness that lies inside each of us, a world where we can either acquiesce to the inhuman nonsense of corporatism and materialism or insist on change. We are not enlivened by an educational system that clandestinely sets us up for jobs that could be automated, for work that need not be done, for enslavement without fervency for meaningful achievement. We have no choices in life when money is our motivational force. Our motivational force ought to be passion, but this is lost from the moment we step into a system that trains us, rather than inspires us."

I worry whether I have taken modules that helped me develop skills that will make me a valuable worker. I worry if I will make enough money when I graduate. But my dreamy, idealistic side tells me one that, maybe, possibly, my unique-ness and what I've learned will all come together to make me a special individual.

Being passionate about what I'm doing is important. I will stay on this path. And hopefully one day, people will pay me big bucks for it!

01

No comments: