Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Pump Room

I was expecting to go to somewhere chill last night. Possibly TCC. Possibly coffee. Possibly lounge-y music. Possibly decent conversation.

Of course it turned out exactly the opposite. Clarke Quay was bursting with energy. There was more electricity than an electric dream. There was The Pump Room. Also beer. Also rock n roll. Also indecent conversation.

Jive Talking played many songs, most of which I was surprised I knew. Songs that never really went away despite being popular before I was born. Kind of reminded me of the Halloween Night at Universal, where the Zombies played those type of songs too.

They played a good mix of the old and the new, from Coldplay to Duffy, from Tainted Love to Sweet Dreams. A groom-to-be went up on stage and got stripped to his undies by a married woman. A middle-aged ang-moh lady dancing, quietly confident, like there was no tmr. And there was me, bopping to the beat, wishing that we could stay late and that no one had to work the next day.

The night ended with a familiar voice but an unfamiliar tune. "It's Ke$ha's new one! Remixed!" An urgent chorus... trashy, but terribly catchy. Before I had time to wonder if twenty years down the road, a band in a bar at Clarke Quay would play We R Who We R, I was on the way home.

A spontaneous evening of unexpected fun.

01

No comments: