Sunday, April 08, 2007

Freedom Writers

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After the previous day's insane 5 hour K Box session with Zhenhui and Shuming that ended at 3AM (and I've to take this chance to thank my dad who was driving his cab to take me to supper before sending me home), I got a mere 4 hours of sleep and went to meet Ryan for Freedom Writers.

The movie was very good and it there were parts that almost moved me to tears. As they say truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, and this story is certainly uniquely inspiring and interesting seeing how it's based on a true story. I can't even think of the words to describe it so I'm going to copy and paste the sypnosis directly from the yahoo! webpage, just to get you interested!

Fresh–faced, idealistic twenty–three–year–old Erin Gruwell is ready to take on the world as she steps inside Wilson High School for her first day of teaching. Her class, a diverse group of racially charged teenagers from different walks of life--African Americans, Latinos, Asians, juvenile delinquents, gang members, and underprivileged students from poor neighborhoods--hope for nothing more than to make it through the day. On the surface, the only thing they share is their hatred for each other and the understanding that they are simply being warehoused in the educational system until they are old enough to disappear.

So check out the movie, it's really good.

After that we went for lunch at the food court before prodeeding to get ourselves a nice spot for the SK Red Party. There was only one special guest and she turned out to be Sun Yan Zi. We waited for an hour or so, and there was this annoying mother with her annoying children standing behind us, creating a din, and putting her hand on the rail above my head, which made me uncomfortable. She was standing so close to me I wanted to elbow her in the knee.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But all was made right as Jean Danker came on stage, did her MC-ing and kicked off the show with a models modelling the latest creations from SK jewellery. After that she introduced Sun Yan Zi, who managed to sneak into the place while we were not looking, and she knew that 90% of the people in the crowd were waiting for her. I was surprised that she would be performing two songs (when I've only heard that she'd be performing Ni Guang) and was taut in suspense, wondering what the other one would be.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ni Guang was well performed; she had an amazingly powerful voice. Here's a recording of part of the performance, forgive me for my singing in between!



The second song was Gu Ji Gu Ji, my favourite track off her latest album and it got me on a high. I got the entire song on video but it sucks because for the most of it, you get to hear me singing along. Then there was this part when she looked up at us and saw us singing along with her and she waved, and we waved frantically back! I was pretty ecstatic!

And then we met Colin and his two friends for the Jolin concert.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We were there pretty damn early and we waited for the entire place to be filled.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was a bloody fantastic concert, and worth my every cent. There's nobody who can do it as well as she did! She's at the top of her game in the Mandopop scene. Jaw-droppingly good. As such, it deserves an entry of its own. Probably tomorrow, after a night's sleep from the work I'd be doing today, I guess there'd be an entry!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: