Saturday, October 29, 2005

Pic of the Week


Muahaha! Managed to get this from TWJ's flickr! Isn't it so unfair that after a year that this photo was taken that I've only just laid my eyes on it? Gosh. This is a photo of us setting up our equipment for Woodstock last year.

Woodstock '05 was an initiative by TWJ and he really put in a lot of effort and time into making it a success and for letting people in NYJC to have a go at performing, and giving them a chance to be on stage. I could still remember how pressured he was by the teachers and the other performing groups, from performing time slots to the set up of everything. Then there was the problem of whether we'd want to invite people from outside to attend and perform at what is basically a school thing. And he did it all with minimal help from everyone else. It was kind of exciting having to make morning announcements for Woodstock and putting up fliers around the school to inform everyone of the event.

Okay, so it's not as if the whole school turned up for the performance, but there was a decent number of people who did. There was a test for the J1s the day after, so not many of them came. However, the spirits were pretty high for those performing especially the six of us. TWJ, David, me, Meizhen, Lim Yang and Kherray. We kept thinking of a name for our band, but just couldn't find one that would stick. Anyway, we spent a crazy amount of time rehearsing for our songs, including our June holidays. It was all great fun because other than slacking in the band room and sometimes incurring the wrath of the school band, we were pretty serious when it came to practising but at the same time, didn't forget to have a good time.

I saw a photo of myself (which looked fucking horrible that I'd burn the computer down if I ever see it again), but it was a pretty cool experience. In fact it's one of the most memorable things that I did last year. When the time came to perform I was pretty nervous but everything just went along pretty smoothly (although my on stage presence when singing was less than desirable) but I think I sang decently, not out of tune and erm, well, it wasn't bad I'm sure. Eek. Thinking about it now still makes me nervous. And I wasn't wearing specs (for freaking vanity reasons so there) so I couldn't even see the audience. I ran out of contacts and didn't bother to get them! Argh.

I still get very high when I hear the songs that we perform. Well, perhaps with the exception of Hoobastank's The Reason. I almost busted my throat to reach those notes. And we did a nice twist to it by making it a duet as well. Ooh, and my false deep-rough voice when I sang Wherever You Will Go was kind of funny. But most memorable of all must be the Jap songs that we performed, because that was when our true synergy came out. The first song we ever performed together was Do As Infinity's Yesterday and Today, the song that didn't win us Talentime (which is still pissing). Ooh~! And we did a freaking rocked up version of Guang Huai Fang Shi. I bet it shocked the audience. Now that was done in a moment of inspiration when we were rehearsing and damn, it sounded good.

Speaking of rocked up versions... we did a rock version of our school song during Talentime.

Like the rising fountain
Our ardent hopes reach to the sky
But the fountain stands alone
Though not you and I

For together we plan
Together we build
A film foundation is our stand
United our cause
Forward we march
Our College's name proclaim


Damn, I can still remember clearly in my mind when Kherray asked the principal for permission to do that rendition and egged the audience to stand up and sing along. Oh man!

Yeah, I do miss days in NYJC, and now I can only look back in nostalgia. Boo.

No comments: