Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bar None

I cannot believe that I admitted to being drunk when I wasn't. Anyway, what kind of drunkard would admit to being drunk right?

Jie Yu and I went to Sakura for dinner. The food was really good, but after this time I don't think I'll go back there again. The reason for choosing the place was because I've only been there one other time, and I had the urge to taste all the food there again. We suceeded in stuffing almost every available type of food into our mouths!

After that we made our way to Bar None. Initially I was kind of worried that we wouldn't be let in, and thought of many stupid ways to get ourselves in. This is one of those damned times where looking 16 isn't an advantage. However we had nothing to worry about as the guys at the door only asked to check our bags before letting us in. I guess I worried too much because it's a given that these bands would have a young fanbase, and I am turning 21 this year so it's not like it's illegal for me to drink alcohol.

Drinking alcohol wasn't the plan, but once Jie Yu got his hands on the menu there was no turning back. I had a gin-something, which was supposedly very diluted. It was merely one shot mixed into this big, fat cup that was close to double the size of what Jie Yu had. I don't know what he had because I'm not too good with drinks myself. I just know that it wasn't beer, tasted nothing like it, and got my face red-hot within awhile. Luckily enough the first band was on its way to finishing their set and they announced that KKJ would be next, when in fact I was worried that I'd already missed their performance!

But I've been to enough of these things to know that they always start late!

While we were getting our drinks Weetz spotted me, and we exchanged greetings. He was armed with his trusty handycam so people who couldn't make it to the venue, and for people like me, who can't get enough to catch it on youtube!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I'm proud to say I know most of the original songs that they performed, although I couldn't sing along word for word. The band kicked off with Don't Take Me. They also played Stranger and Low, which was rather different from the previous songs. Jie Yu and I agreed that the track really stood out (in a good way) for some reason we couldn't quite put our finger on. This performance is probably one of the best that I've seen from them. The music was really good. Absolutely flawless. No mistakes that I could hear of anyway! It was a pity that they didn't do a really slow and quiet emo rock track like Chasing Cars, because it would've worked like magic in such a cosy venue and showcase the diversity of the band.

I'm not a big fan of The Arctic Monkeys and I've never heard Dancing Shoes before but KKJ's rendition of the song really got everyone moving despite its unfamiliarity. I'm going to have to hear TAM's version though I dare say that after witnessing them play it live, it might just fall short of expectations. That was exactly how I felt about This Boy.

That was not the case when Mr Brightside was played, because from where I was seated I could see everyone singing along. Enough said.

The icing on the cake was definitely My Brown Lollipop. It was definitely deserving to be the song to wrap up the entire set - a treat for fans who've been following the band closely enough to know that it's one of the songs that they feel strongly about. I knew almost all the words and was singing along to the wooohooooyeahyeah (just like how I was singing along to Jolin's concert, not 'cos I was drunk Colin!) with wild abandon. Hey, it's my favourite song!

After that I went to the toilet and my face was really, really red. Okay, I was very high, but not drunk enough to be stumbling around nor puking in people's faces. Colin came up to me and he also got introduced to Jie Yu. We chatted for a while about the performance and he said that it was the longest set he'd ever play. Not only did he not sound like he ran out of steam during the final song, he sang his way to a rousing encore. Well, one can never get to much of a good thing, and I was enjoying myself so much that I didn't notice the amount of time that passed. It didn't feel that long to me! Anyway he introduced us to the next band, which surprisingly fell short of our expectations, and so we left in the middle of their third song.

I've got to thank Jie Yu for being such a sport and going with me on such short notice. Ooh, and it's past midnight already! Happy 21st Birthday bro!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

6 comments:

weetzdom tooth said...

wah piang, you win!! hahahaa
so fast got photo AND detailed review... and tag kingkongjane!

jason kyh said...

haha... well if I left it till I woke up, I don't think I would've been able to recount what happened in such detail! that's why I felt the urgency to do it upon reaching home!

colin lim said...

gosh. i'm really flattered by your entry. thank you so much for coming down...

anyway, the third song we did was "no", not "low". i knew you were drunk! muahaha. glad that you liked the song though.

"dancing shoes" is one of the more accessible songs by the artic monkeys. you should really check out their two albums. good stuff that grows on you over time.

do send me the photo when you see me online! and have a great week ahead dude!

jason kyh said...

hey hey hey! I wasn't drunk! after all, i only had one drink! ooh, i can't be blamed for getting mixed up with the song title, just heard wrongly!

ehh, yeah, arctic monkeys do have a unique sound, so i guess i'll be giving them a listen!

as for the photo well, all the ones that i've taken are blur, while this one has been sharpened by photoshop - twice! I think stan's are much better!

weetzdom tooth said...

stan's ones also sharpen in photoshop, plus brighten, contrast etc etc hahaha

jason kyh said...

that's good to know! but mine's crappy even after all of that. heck i'd rather be the one who took all of stan's photos! =P