Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Night Cycling I

I was just saying how much I hate writing (and you thought blogging was supposed to be natural and an easy art of self-expression) but I've got to do it anyway because it would be such a waste not to note down the experience that's causing my feet to stink till today.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

On Saturday night I went to Jie Yu's place after work ie standing for 10 hours for the night cycling trip we planned. It was kind of ambitious as we wanted to make it to most parts of Singapore in the course of the night. The initial plan was to head to Clementi, and then to Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands, Pasir Ris, the Esplanade and then back to Serangoon. Jie Yu had already planned the route. Streetdirectory.com is amazingly helpful. The planned route was about 120km.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Jie Yu took a lot of effort to plan for the trip, which included borrowing really good bikes. This was the better one that I was supposed to be using, but I felt more comfortable with the other one instead! Guess I'm not tall enough for it! Most of the stuff that we needed to bring were packed in his bag, while I carried my camera, handphone and wallet in my berms. They were irritating to cycle in because they came below the knees. I'll remember to wear shorts the next time!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And so we headed to Toa Payoh from Serangoon, which was a rather short route, and one that we've travelled a couple of times before. However as we crossed the overhead bridge, we had an episode of misplaced contact lenses! Okay, so maybe misplaced isn't the right word, but somehow Jie Yu's contact lens dropped out from his eye. Luckily enough he saw where it landed, and due to our amazing foresight, we had the solution with us and so he put it back where it belonged, and we carried on like it didn't happen.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Our first stop was at the void deck of a mystery girl whose identity I've decided to keep a secret. Anyway, she passed Jie Yu a bottle of Gatorade and helped us take this photo. Cool stuff. We continued and made our way to Clementi. We passed by Mount Avernia (sp?) hospital and the entrance of Macritchie reservoir. After that we came across a place where there were quite a few people waiting for cabs at the main road.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Jie Yu kept telling me I should take a photo with the place that I might probably be working for next time! Which reminds me - we passed by SPH earlier as well. We decided to head inside to take a photo with the very famous Mediacorp sign.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was kind of difficult to hold the camera steady after cycling so intensely. We weren't exactly panting but I could feel the blood being pumped a little harder through my veins, and that really doesn't help when you're trying to take a good photo at night. The other option was to set it to 2 sec timer so as to reduce the movement from actually pressing the shutter button, but the best bet would've been to get a tripod, which is just too bloody heavy to carry along on a cycling trip. After that, we made our way out of there and pedalled furiously towards Clementi.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We were on the road that was headed to Holland V and Queestown. We were actually toying with the idea of going to Holland V. I've never been there before actually. But I decided that I was not really hungry, probably because of the adrenaline rush, while Jie Yu had his dinner just while ago, so we continued cycling till we reached Clementi MRT station. I felt that it was the thrilling and exciting cycling terrain, with plenty of slopes which allowed us to cruise through without doing any actual cycling. We went up to about 27 km/h, while our average speed on normal roads would've been about 17km/h.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Eventually we stopped at the coffeeshop situated just beside Clementi MRT station for supper. I like my ba chor mee dry. Haha... It's amazing how many people were having their meals despite how late it was. By then it was already 1245AM. The meal really re-energised me, since my last one was more than 6 hours ago. Half an hour later, we were ready to go. We were supposed to head for Jurong which would in turn lead us to Choa Chu Kang.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For some strange, unplanned reason, we went pass The Chevrons. Weirdly enough, the only time I ever went there was with Bryan, Charles and Chia Keat, people from my platoon whom I later realised I couldn't really click with. We did catch War of the Worlds because we couldn't get in to the KTV at Chevrons. Ooh yeah, travelling around Singapore really brings a lot memories attached to all the different places I've visited.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was here that we started to get a little lost. According to Jie Yu's plan we weren't suppose to go pass Jurong MRT station (my favourite interchange) which looks brilliantly lit in the middle of the night, and neither were we supposed to be at the Science Centre (I think they're having a dinosaur exhibit) and the last photo over there would be of the Discovery Centre. We continued cycling because apparently we were on the right road (Jurong Town Hall Rd), but once we saw Chinese Garden MRT station, we freaked out and was convinced that we were going the wrong way. On hindsight, it was the right path, but of course we didn't know it then! We then went in the opposite direction (which now you know lead us further down the wrong way) and travelled cluelessly until I saw the back of a school that looked strangely familiar to me.

I felt as if I had just seen a ghost. I knew the place was coming up but since we were going by the back of it, I was caught by surprise. It's been 6 years since I've been there, because frankly there was no reason for me to go back. Much has changed though. It was no longer River Valley High School. Instead it was a newer-looking building, and has become Commonwealth Secondary School. The structure was still more or less the same. It was crazy but I didn't know how deeply I've buried my memories till I saw the school compound again. The hair on my arms were standing on their ends. The feeling of going to school there came back to haunt me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is the reservoir which faces the school. When there were 2.4km runs, we would take a left turn, run 1.2km of the circumference and turn back. I used to run to the midpoint and walk back. It was perfect imagery of my life in lower secondary - half-fucked in everything I tried to do (totally-fucked up my studies, which was why they kicked me out after that), low on self-worth... basically I was a screwed up kid. Of course without him, there wouldn't be me. What would I have given to give that kid some identity. Growing up was so awkward and different from primary school. He was the kind who'd stick to the people he'd want to befriend, although he wasn't exactly lonely and had his own small clique (which was basically formed from the outcast of the rowdier, crazier guys in class). Of course I'd be the complete opposite. Still as awkward as ever that's for certain, but I've actually been called dao a couple of times. I wait for people to approach me, to ask me out - I take don't take initiative, yeah, that's probably because I fear rejection. And sitting on this side of the fence actually allows me to dish it out instead of taking it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Looking back, I don't quite understand how he managed to fail more than half the subjects in Sec 2 (my average was about 46.7%). The guy who got A B B for As is still in a bit of disbelief. But getting out of there was probably the best thing that happened since getting in. For so long I've been pretending it's okay, and that I've moved on and put it behind me. It's good for times when I need to do a bit of storytelling (one of the things I related to the prof at the interview for SCI) though.

Just facing the reservoir and the deserted school flooded me with so many memories. On a more light-hearted note, Xiaxue lives at Teban Gardens (which was where we were, more or less) and went to RV too. Anyway, after being confronted with so much pain, all I wanted to do was to get out of there ASAP, and being somewhat familiar with the place I led the way back to Jurong MRT station. In my haste I pushed a bit too much and ended getting a major cramp. At the time we were close to a traffic junction so I stopped there and literally threw myself on the floor for a stretch. By the time we reached the station it was 220AM and we'd already wasted an hour.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After orientating ourselves, we managed to get to Bukit Batok MRT station. I was quite frustrated with the fact that I didn't get it right away, that the centre track was the on which would lead us to BB and ended up following a general direction that got us lost in the first place. So that sucked big time. The photo above is one of the Macdonalds at the station. I kind of like the place. It's cosy and all. I used to live in Bukit Batok.

We decided that instead of going North, we'd make our way to Harbourfront instead. Earlier when we were at the reservoir, the thunder had started rolling. When we left BB train station, the wind was starting to gain momentum and we tried desperately to cover as much distance as we could, in hope that we would actually be able to get to another part of Singapore where it wasn't raining.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Of course, as luck would have it, it started raining. The drizzle progressed to become a torrential rain and we were stuck at the bus stop outside this incinerator at Toh Tuck Lane. Descriptions just don't cut it. Here's one of the few videos that we took (we were stuck at a bus stop at 317AM, waddya expect!) of our situation. I sound horrible in the rest, so there.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2 comments:

Ryan said...

u went to my ex-workplace nv tell me! LOL. it looks fun, and physically demanding. =X

weetzdom tooth said...

wow... i have never done night cycling before.. and i have never seen such night places! The reservoir and macdonald's shots were great. They look so un-singapore.

wah, your A levels so good ah.