Sunday, June 19, 2005

Pulau Ubin



I went out yesterday with a friend whom I haven't met in like, one and a half years - Benjamin! Haha, it took some kind of getting used to because we hadn't seen each other in so long. He said I look different too.

We met at Bedok and then took bus no.2 which took us to the hawker center. We ate there before going to the Changi Ferry Point and took a ferry down to Pulau Ubin.

Cycling there is a different kind of experience. The track there is probably more challenging than any I've ever cycled before. At some points I had to get down from my bike and push it manually! There're a lot of bicycle rental shops there and some places selling food. The feel is very 1960s and there were quite a few abandoned houses along the path. There isn't much to see there other than the quarry which has since filled up with water and the view of that was indeed impressive. It's just simply cycling in the natural surroundings. Well, it wasn't exactly natural. Luckily there was a road for us to cycle on. We did have a chance to go onto some dirt tracks but they contained great muddy puddles and pebbles which made more difficult to cycle on.

We were probably drenched with sweat after awhile and stopped at various places to rest and take a drink. They sell drinks almost everywhere because the water from the tap isn't potable so there isn't much of a choice. It was bloody hot yesterday (my forearms are now darker than the rest of my body), so my advice to anyone going there is to bring lots of water and maybe a bit of sunblock!

We cycled almost the entire island. Well, at least the parts that could be cycled! At the end of everything we were tired out. Went home directly after that. It was real fun, but I think I've done enough cycling to last me the entire month!

Sentosa next! Anyone?

No comments: