Monday, July 16, 2007

National Museum of History

Walking further down Nan Hai Rd (I wouldn't have remembered if I didn't have the sense to take down a photo of the roadsign), we reached a police station, a church and finally the National Museum of History. We asked quite a couple of people before reaching so it was really cool when we finally managed to find our way there.

It was a long walk.

01

I can't remember how much we paid to get in there, only that it was really affordable. It was about SGD 10 to visit the Bin Ma Yong exhibition though, and on hindsight, I think we should've gone. Despite having a lousy memory, I enjoy history.

01

Me, trying to do Jolin's Wei Wu Du Zhun cover. Next.

01

This would probably be familiar to all who had studied History in Sec 1 and 2. All sorts of artifacts were on display, and it's really amazing seeing the contents of history books right in front of your very eyes. Seeing them in real life is pretty different. Although sometimes history is about perspectives, it can't be denied that some things happened (mass murders etc) and there are things left behind to prove it. This is an example of words from the Shang Dyanasty carved on bones of animals. They have the entire evolution of the Chinese language on display, which I thought was fascinating.

I, however, was the one who could remember least from my studies so I relied heavily on the Terence and Daniel to give me background knowledge as to what I was seeing!

01

That over there is a small sculpture of a plump lady, the ideal size of a woman during the Tang Dyansty. On the right of that is a tobacco holder. I haven't seen it before in my life, but I think you're supposed to sniff it or chew it. I can't remember which! The third picture should be very familiar - it's what money used to look like in China! The problem with the museum (alright, the problem with my lousy Chinese) is that there are limited English translations of the explanations of the exhibits. Daniel had to help read some of the stuff. I was particularly curious as to this picture of a woman riding a horse, only to find out that back in the day, they used to play horse-polo. Something like that!

The last picture is a Japanese helmet. Daniel commented that it looks like a combination of Darth Vader and Queen Amidala!

I enjoyed the trip a lot as I got to see history come to life. I would've enjoyed it more if there was someone to explain to me what I was seeing. In a weird way it's a link to my ancestors long long ago, which is why I'm currently a freethinker because I believe in history and science. It'd be opening and stirring a can of worms to explain my statement but I guess you can figure it out yourselves.

01

And here's Terence with what's presumably a replica of the soldiers in the Bin Ma Yong exhibition. Very cool.

We were feeling very hungry after and desperate for some food. However, we had to drop by the book store which was kind enough to keep the things that we chose until we returned to purchase them. Also SH wanted to buy 45 One Piece comics and send them by post to Singapore for his friend. In the end, after the shop assistant's efforts to check which ones were available and a trip to the post office by all of us with the box containing 45 comics to check the weight of the parcel and its cost, SH's friend decided not to get it.

01

We are still in awe of their good service and that's why on this blog, I'm just saying you might want to drop by if you happen to be in the vicinity.

Of course another reason would be for the beef noodles, which were fucking good. They ranked as the third best thing we ever ate in Taipei. The other one was found in Shilin and the best was in a restauran that we blew SGD 60 on. So, there's no comparison when you can get good food for a reasonable pricing instead. Go for the one with the dark-looking soup. I can't remembered what it's called but the one I ate was on the left and it was blander!

Next up, desert!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: