Tuesday, November 17, 2009

AltLife S01E02 - Girl, No Girl

"You want to drink water?"

"Yeah, I talk so much. Damn thirsty ok."

I was at Bobby's place, two days before my own exams started. It was a great way to de-stress. I was distracting myself from studying by forcing someone else to study.

"Ok I go get!" With that he lifted his phone and a picture of a girl flashed across the screen. Seeing that there were no messages, he ran down to the first floor.

Curious, I picked up his phone. It was an LG touch-screen phone. I tapped the screen. No response. I pulled some part out, only to reveal the USB port. I pressed every part of the phone but it refused to light up. I could feel it mocking me and I wondered why technology was so cheem these days.

"Haha... I knew you couldn't turn it on!" I was so shocked that I almost dropped the phone. Bobby returned with two cups of... well, there was more ice than water, so it was really watered ice instead of iced water.

He peeled off the cover of the phone and revealed many buttons. Upon pressing the right one, the picture of the girl came on once more. She had long hair covering almost half her face, her head tilted at an angle. If a 15-year-old could give a come hither look, this was it.

"So... you guys together?"

"Nah. Broke up cos her results were bad. I scored better than her for every single subject!"

"So she broke up with you? Aren't you sad?"

"She's in a better class than me! But I got 5th in class. Actually, all my marks are better than her. English, Chinese... "

"So it's kind of like she's got to concentrate on school work lah. Eh, the only reason you did well is because I taught you! And I teach you 2 subjects. It's all my hard work okay!"

"Yah. I think you will get a pay raise."

"Woah really!" Okay, in fact, I was happier than I allowed myself to be. "Well, I deserve it! Haha!"

"Yeah lah! Sure will have one."

I was tempted to ask how much. I was teaching for the money, of course, but I really enjoyed teaching this kid. He amused me to no end.

"Okay, like that I am very motivated to teach you. I will make sure you get higher than everybody in class. In fact, you'll do so well that you will never get back with her!"

01

2 comments:

weetzdom tooth said...

so nicely written :) thanks

jason kyh said...

oh. WOW. thank YOU!