Saturday, November 07, 2009

Not Adieu

a1

In 5 days when Phi Linh and Kim Vy were in Singapore, I had one of the greatest adventures ever. We went to Timbre. We went to Pulau Ubin. We went to Home Club for a Halloween Party. We stayed up to talk till 7 AM. We went to chat at Vivocity. We went to play pool at Marina Square. We went to the hawker near the Esplanade. We chatted at the amphitheater till it rained. We ran in the rain to find a cab. We went to Ding Tai Feng for lunch. We went to Sentosa to play the Segway, the Luge, wine at Cafe del Mar, swam in the sea. We went to Chomp Chomp for dinner. We went beer-hunting at the airport.

q01

During their stay here, they changed my life. I did stuff that I normally would not do. I saw Singapore through fresh eyes. I drank. I spent a lot of money. I had to play host, something which I have not done before. I got a chance to learn a bit of their culture. We had the most amazing conversations. They broadened my perspective and made me realise that there's so much out there that I haven't seen. They've spurred me to explore and travel and even look to the place I live for inspiration. It was my "exchange" trip and I've learned so much.

The best part is that I've made new friends.

Before he left, Kim Vy said that "adieu" meant farewell forever. He wondered if there was such an expression in English. I told him that there wasn't and replied that the French were so... I can't find the word to describe it now. Emotional, sensitive and romantic? He told me that he wouldn't say it to me because he was sure that we would meet again someday.

Thankfully there's the Internet and I've heard from him since his arrival in France. I'm looking forward to the next adventure that we'll have. Maybe it's just to escape the monotony of school, but there's more to life than mugging and grades.

01

No comments: