Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Financial Woes

I guess everyone faces them. I've got 650 a month, which isn't a lot. Well, who ever feels that they've got enough money? I give about 200 bucks to my parents a month, or rather, they'd just take what they need. However, after last month's rather violent discussion, I've got my hands on the card and now all I have to do is to look out on what I'm spending on.

Okay, I must agree that I've been splurging a lot of money on movies. If I were to compile a list of movies I've watched during the past two months, I'd probably die in shock seeing the amount of money I've spent. Oh, and that goes for CDs too, but that's not a recent issue. Lately, I've been tempted to take the easy way out, so when people want to go out with me, we usually end up watching movies. I could focus on doing sports or other things to entertain myself. Entrance to the swimming pool costs less than 2 dollars but I've just been too lazy to drag myself there. I've never thought K Lunch was a waste of money because I get to eat there too so that's not exactly a problem. My girlfriend is very understanding of my situation and although I don't pay for her stuff when we go out, I try to make an effort to make it my treat on special occassions. I've wanted to keep a log on my expenditure for the longest time, but I end up starting from 0 again and again.

Today I stupidly took the cab and it was perhaps one of the things I regret most. It costs 20 bucks to get from my camp to Marina. I should've asked the uncle to let me alight at the nearest MRT station. That's super silly of me and I keep thinking of the CD that I could have bought if I didn't spend that 20 dollars. Well, it wasn't exactly my fault because I had just finished my orderly duty and I only had about 5 hours of sleep. That caused me to become lazy, lethargic and temporarily retarded. I couldn't be bothered to walk to the bus stop to take the bus to Woodlands and so I succumbed to temptation and took the bloody cab that arrived just outside my camp.

I don't know why but for some reason unknown to me, I've got the urge to try out rock climbing. It's a sudden, out-of-nowhere urge. Maybe it's the little bit of adrenaline. Maybe it's the need for physical activity. Maybe I secretly want to break a limb so I can get Att C for a couple of months and still get my 650 pay. But seriously, I feel like taking it up as a hobby. In the past 6 months, I sometimes wish I'd done something new and picked up a new skill or hobby during my book out time, but all I've done is plenty of splurging and indulging in passive entertainment. The kind where you sit there and wait to be entertained ie movies.

Did I mentioned that I also want to get a freaking tan? I'm getting too pale for my own good. I should just grab a book, a groundsheet, my boardshorts/swimming trunks, sunscreen and go down to the beach and slack. Hmmm, the cycling trip I had with Ben was tonnes of fun too, but it was a really sweat-it-out moment-and-exert-yourself moment. I don't mind doing it again though. But I can't exactly think of amazing cycling places.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I should have a birthday party of sorts. Well, I haven't had one since.... I can't even remember the last time I had one. Now I'm not bothered by exams and the likes during the very cool month that is October, maybe I should take the initiative and do something and have a good time. I'll have to think about it. What if I have to spend a bomb? That'll not do.

And I still owe Mr Cheng $550 for last year's Myanmar trip. And to think my mom said that she'd help me save up to return Mr Cheng the money. Outrageous. The allowance money that I get go to things like the electricity and water bills, phone bills, my brother's tuition fees, my brother's 'O' level examination fees (if he gets L1R4 less than 20, I think I'd be happy for him already) and other miscellaneous things like groceries. Ew. However, I'll still try my best to make it all work out. When I don't try to work things out, I just spend every single cent that I have in my wallet just to get rid of the frustration.

And in case you're wondering why I didn't gave my usual goodbye entry last weekend, it's because its as if I've never been away. I've been back on Monday, and today, and I'll be back on Friday.

Oh, and a big thanks to Ming Boon for co-authoring with me the entry about Jay and Edison. One of the most successful entries to date! Haha! Watch this space for more!

No comments: