Saturday, August 20, 2005

Rachel Stevens - I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)



Largely ignored despite the barage of stomping club singles she has released, including the likes of Some Girls, Sweet Dreams My LA Ex and Negotiate With Love, just to name a few, Rachel Stevens is relentlessly churning out the hits, with the lastest one being I Said Never Again (But Here We Are). I heard of its release last week only a couple of hours before Bert posted a note on my tagboard and calling it "pop song of the year!".

I've always been a huge fan of Rachel despite the fact that audience outside the UK do not get exposed to her songs, largely due to her doing well, but not good enough for her record company to promote her outside of the UK. Thus, Singapore listeners have not had the chance to hear the utter greatness of her brand of pop music. I believe she's destined for great things. After all, her first single Sweet Dreams My LA Ex was huge in the UK (written by Cathy Dennis, who also wrote Toxic), so it's almost certain that all it takes is another breakthrough to propel her to dizzying heights in the arena of Pop.

Listening to I Said Never Again (But Here We Are) leaves you gasping for more. The pace of this track is like bullet train. Non-stop. It might take a few listens to get into the groove of this track but her voice and the pounding baseline is sure to get your heart thumping along. Her music is all-danceable and catchy, essentially what pop is meant to be. Here's what Rachel has to say about her up-and-coming sohpomore album:

"I'm really proud of this album, ever since I started working in music it's been about releasing great pop tracks that everyone can dance and have fun to but this time I also wanted to express more of myself and give people a few surprises along the way. Although I've matured I still want to keep pop fun but a little naughtier!"

Here's Sweet Dreams My LA Ex (which was originally meant for Britney but she turned it down), and of course the current single, which is slated for release in the UK on my birthday, I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)! Enjoy!

No comments: