Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gimme Moar

"If you want something bad enough the whole earth conspires to help you get it." (Madonna, 1996)

As I walked to SMU yesterday to meet Jie Yu to discuss the itinery for our Phuket trip, I felt the urgent need to pee. So, I had to make a detour into Raffles City.

Adidas, Topman, Calvin Klein, Levi's. The brands stood out proudly, as if taunting those who didn't recognise them or their perceived superiority. I was startled at my own reaction. Not too long ago, I would've stopped and peered into the shops. I loved looking at the latest clothes that were stocked. They dictated the latest season's trends, available only to those with the cash to keep up and the bodies to flaunt them. Everyone else would then look ordinary in comparison.

Yet this time round I did not look at them with longing. I've come to care less about looking that good. Sure, there's a part of me that will not be able to buck the trend of looking "presentable". But I've realised that endless pages of gorgeous models in magazines and TV programs like Gossip Girl and America's Next Top Model only present a narrow way of looking at the world. They may be powerful, consistent and insistent in their messages, but it's not what I want.

More specifically, it's not all I want.

That kind of attention could be better diverted somewhere else, a "something else" the world has to offer but we don't see as often.

I'm in search of it and hopefully, I'll find it.
01

No comments: