Sunday, April 03, 2005

26th March

I woke up late on Saturday morning. I reached NYJC at about 8:40 and was actually quite nervous about going back because I didn't have permission but at the same time I was excited to see my HO juniors again. I haven't been to a HO practice since Dec and was just lucky (&SMART,FRIENDLY) enough to say hi to Xing Hui online.

Anyway, I had little trouble finding their new air-conditioned classroom (spoilt!). When I stepped in, they made quite a commotion.

They were still having their sectional practice and I saw that some changes had been made to Blue Tango and they had learnt Minuet. I went around to check on each standard and I think that they played OK.

I had a lot of fun 'targetting' my juniors. There are plenty of new people as well. To be honest (and as usual) if I was given a harmonica to play and demonstrate right there and then, I wouldn't have been able to.

Anyway, the DELIVERY of the pieces was pretty good. It was quite solid for Blue Tango, and minuet was learny rather easily and they had just got their act together. They've begun to bring out more dynamics and mood of the piece and they have achieved realisation that performing a piece well is not just playing the notes perfectly. Impressively, they've got DEPTH, something which was lacking in and I was never able to get my batch to appreciate.

Also, what impressed me was that they are able to comment and judge their own playing. It used to be that only a person with musical background would be qualified to judge (and it took me like 8 years to gain the skill). However, now they've got SLs for each section who are constantly pushing for higher standards and aiming to improve their playing with each practice.

I'm impressed as not only have they been able to learn to appreciate the finer side of music given this short amount of time, they've also managed to learn to work together, accept and give each other opinions and the ability to lead. Delphine, who was always giggly and talkative, now turned serious and critical of Chrom 1's playing after she became SL. The unique sound of octave has been brought out too. As for Wai Kit, he's more outspoken and is firmer and precise and analytical when commenting on their playing.

Attending the practice gave me the opportunity to make music come alive. Also, seeing my juniors develope and learn new skills through the CCA gives me much fulfillment and satisfaction. And it does wonders for my ego! Oops, I can't believe I said that!

They are my pride and joy, they really are.

No comments: