Monday, June 26, 2006

Portugal All The Way!

So yesterday there was a showdown between Ecuador and England as well as Portugal and Netherlands. My family went to this hawker at Yishun. The food was bloody good! I should've taken a photo of the stingray and the oyster omelette! Fantastic stuff. We were on our desert of fruit when the first match began at 11pm.

Mak was already in camp and gave me a call before the match, asking me for live updates! And even know I only know the bare minimum (before yesterday I couldn't tell the difference between a penalty and a free kick, but I do now!), I tried my best, and I think I did a decent job.

England was the favourite to win, although all the weirdos at the hawker centre let out a huge gasp of disappointment when Ecuador failed to score despite taking a rather good shot.

And Beckham, despite feeling unwell, took the free kick and rammed the ball straight home.



Beckham scored at the 60th minute. The ball brushed past the goalkeeper's fingers and managed to find its way into the goal. He threw up a few minutes after that, and left at the 86th minute.



Despite it all, Captain Becks was ecstatic as he was the one who gave England the win and brought them into the next round of 8. Anyway, England didn't play very well for the rest of the match. It was practically a snooze-fest, and the team still hasn't lived up to expectations. It's true that they got the score to move forward, but the spirit of footie just ain't there.

And I went for a nap before being woken up at 3AM to watch the Portugal match against Netherlands. It was an exceptionally thrilling match. Although sometimes not in the most positive ways.



There was plenty of drama. The referee was giving out cards like free. The players got really really fierce with each other. Tempers flared. And worst of all, Cristiano Ronaldo got injured! In a show of great determination, he stayed on to play a part in the goal scored by Maniche. He went on and off the field a couple of times to get his injury treated but left eventually, after 34 minutes.



In tears, might I add. What can I say? The man's passionate about the game.

Okay, so in the second half I fell asleep for about 15 minutes or something, but there was still a lot of activity going on. I was surprised by Deco's exit after he was awarded the second yellow card. I think that Portugal will not be the same without him in the next match which they will be playing against...

...England.

Nail-biting match for sure. No prizes for guessing who I'm rooting for.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: