Friday, January 18, 2008

School, Britney, CL

I wanted to start this entry talking about cheerleading but I thought that would be very predictable, so, maybe I'll move on to something less predictable, like school.

I hate talking about school. It's been a nasty piece of work recently, and it gets worse when you're struggling to understand how what you're learning relates to you. I'm really quite lost during Info Lit & Interpretation as well as Fundamentals of Research. In fact, after last sem's Fundamentals of Maths, I feel a strong sense of repulsion when I see modules that begin with the word "Fundamental". However the tutor is rather good, so that's something to be thankful for. I'm quite sianified by the assignments because I have no idea what I'm supposed to do exactly (and most of my school mates concur). I don't feel that I have enough time to do it so... yeah I'm so screwed. The only thing I did right was taking Visual Literacy & Comm because that is a hell lot of fun. Although it does seem like a lot of work, I guess it'll be a lot of fun too. We spent our 2 hour tutorial today fiddling with videocameras. Ooh yeah and they don't seem to be plagued by endless readings too.

During that tutorial today I was also asked to introduce myself and then tell the class something interesting to remember me by. The only thing that I could think of was that I liked Britney, but being a wreck as she is (I'm still proud of her) I didn't think she'd do wonders for my first impression (which obviously doesn't matter because your first impression of her was dancing in sexy school uniform in ...Baby One More Time than Gimme More at VMAs), so I ended up revealing the fact that I got my name Jason from the Power Rangers. The Red Ranger, anybody? It's something that never fails to amaze.

Speaking of Britney Spears, the other song that have playing everyday other than Janet's Feedback, is Piece of Me. James Masterton of http://www.launch.co.uk/ accurately points out the singer's current situation as her current single slams itself into #2 on the UK Singles Charts this week.

By way of no small coincidence, it is a team of Swedish songwriters who are behind the success of the surprise Number 2 single of the week, a single which just so happens to feature Robyn on backing vocals. The track in question is 'Piece Of Me' from Britney Spears for whom it seems there is no such publicity as bad publicity. The followup to Top 3 hit 'Gimmie More', the ability of Britney Spears to sell pop records in the face of what is becoming an increasingly disturbing tabloid-fuelled meltdown is something at which we can only marvel. Whereas once she was feted for her looks, her personality and her talent as a performer, virtually all her media coverage at the present time is focused on her declining health, her fractured personal life and her deteriorating state of mind. Her promotional work for her music is precisely zero, yet for all of this her records are selling in such a way that chart books of the future will record this period as one of her most artistically fruitful ever whilst the newspapers tell a story that is quite the reverse. 'Piece Of Me' is now her biggest hit since 'Everytime' topped the singles chart in 2004 and at this point I'd normally make some comment about how the track compares musically to past endeavours. On the face of it however, it hardly seems to matter.

Britters went out for shopping at 2:20AM yesterday in torn fishnet stockings and no underwear.

I went to JB to get my hair cut yesterday. I like how it is now, although I guess everyone else has to get used to it. I've always had my hair short, and last semester was probably the only time in my life I had my fringe covering my forehead! Well, you certainly can't please everyone and it's definitely easier to deal with so... no regrets! Oh, and it was only 12 bucks cos I had 30% off. I was quite disappointed that my stylist didn't work there anymore and they got someone else to cut my hair. It's good, but the other guy was much, much better. Going to JB was also therapeutic. It's been some time since I've been there and the atmosphere is just different there. It's like a great escape from hectic studying schedules and all!

I've received my cheerleading uniform and I think it looks a bit big on me. Not that it's going to affect my performance. I'm now confident of most of the stunts that I have to do except the cartwheel which I've got to do in front of everybody! I'm just not consistent with it - sometimes it looks passable and sometimes it sucks. I have just 3 more trainings to get it right though, and I'm sure that's more than enough time. It's also kinda sian that people are getting injured because aside from the fact that we can't do the stunts (which basically relies on teamwork), it's kind of painful to see your teammates in pain. All of us have our little injuries here and there so we don't feel wonderful and perfectly alright, but for those who are injured that badly, I think we've got a pretty good picture of what they must be undergoing to keep them out of action. Whatever it is, we're going down to have an on-site rehearsal this Saturday morning, and Wednesday is the day that we'll be having our competition.

I still cannot get over the fact that there's only 3 more trainings! Ahh!
01

No comments: