Sunday, January 27, 2008

Beachout '08

I have Santana featuring Michelle Branch playing and for some reason it makes me feel peaceful, calm and contented. It's not my usual genre. Slowly but surely I'm moving away from dance-pop to more soothing sounds although for everyday this past month the first song I play when I turn on the laptop is Piece of Me. Then there's stuff by Vanessa Carlton. How great it would be to spend an entire morning lazing by the beach with music like this and a good read in hand...

I've had a rather sleep-deprived week and waking up at 630AM yesterday was... wow. Yue Shan had only half an hour of sleep though. I don't know how she does it but she did! She wasn't really sleepy either, so maybe it's the adrenaline! She managed to drive us (Daniel me and Kel) safely to Sentosa under Kel's directions.

01

I was actually quite tempted to fall asleep. We listened to her cruising CD as we cruised down the expressway to songs like Apologize and Torn. I sang along a little softly, feeling a bit tender for some reason. I guess I'm just tired from doing so much in so little time. I've been quite emo recently!

01

Anyway, we made our way down to Tanjong beach and started setting up all our stuff. Daniel managed all the more hardcore stuff with help from Kelvin. I think I was only useful in setting up the court with rafia and plastic bottles filled with sand! I also filled a lot of water bombs with Yue Shan. It was cool to be the first ones at the beach with no disruptions from other people. I quite enjoyed setting up the entire thing - a beach volleyball court (made with a badminton net), frisbee court, captain's ball court and beach soccer court. Kel also did a great job of moulding the words "Beachout" over where we hid the water bombs. Because that game was later cancelled, I tried to dig out a couple of water bombs so I could launch an attack on some people, but I didn't manage to find any despite over 40 being buried in there. Bleargh.

01

The advance party takes a cam-whoring break. The sun was blazing in the morning and by the time we finished our stuff, we were sweating like mad. It turned cloudy later on (which explains the slightly blue tinge on the rest of the photos as compared to the sun-kissed tone in this one). I have no idea why my eyes are getting smaller and smaller, but I think I'll getting a lot more sleep in the future. Bleargh.

01

Before long the bus-full of participants arrived from Hall and the mood became totally different. There was sound of excited chatter in the air and I was trying to feed off their energy being a bit shagged out from setting up!

01

Sandar and I got to referee the volleyball matches, which was really entertaining. There was a match that she got to play because the team was lacking people, thus I was left to referee myself! There were a few tricky situations (the seniors kept on saying referee kayu lo!) but the seniors won in the end so Kyon came over to shake my hand. Damn funny. And every group had some funny antics up their sleeve, be it a highly nonsensical cheer, fierce competitiveness or tight teamwork. All of them were memorable in their own way.

01

After the lunch break I teamed up with Sandar again for mini-games. Ours was Hunter and Prey and there were other games like pulling pegs off people's clothes, human table soccer and using water to splash away whipped cream on the participants' bodies.

01

A lot of people mentioned that my game was lame but I thought it was quite hilarious. It was fun for me to see them chase each other into the water. When we were trying the game we didn't expect that the "prey" would run when the "hunter" didn't. In fact, even when there was no one chasing them, the entire team of "prey" would just head straight for the sea and the subsequent sight of huge splashes was fun to watch.

I think they enjoyed cooling off in the sea too! Sandar and I got "punished" for being in-charge of the game so the both of us got dunk during the first two matches. After that Chin Teck managed to fireman lift me into the sea as well. Rawr.

01

Dan, Yue Shan and I went back to the car to get the prizes, and I saw Samuel Low YY acting cool in his shades, still busy playing volleyball. I snapped this photo of him before he gave me the finger, so I flipped mine back at him. I thought it was really hilarious though Yue Shan was quite stunned!

When we got back we had the prize presentation ceremony where Leon kissed Peijun. Haha! After had we had what Lao Na calls the Hall 12 tradition - the photo formation.

01

I had no idea there were that many people on top of me! I could feel my left thigh being crushed and that feeling totally blew my mind! I had the urge to crawl out from underneath but that would've been quite impossible too. Luckily I managed to force a smile for the photo! The photos of us after that included one of Daniel with a pained expression. Priceless.

01

Presenting the committee for Beachout 08! Everybody's in there except Daniel (Miffy). After that we went back to a dunking session as everyone hung out by the beach. I took my camera with me so no one would try anything funny but...

01

For some reason everyone wanted to take another big group photo.

01

Me and the friendliest seniors in hall - Leon, Cyndi and Kevin!

It was more fun than I expected and my first time being in-charge of such an event. It's kind of crazy to be talking and having people listen to what you've got to say. It was all rather new to me. Also I enjoyed having all the Hall 12ers out and interacting with each other. It's almost impossible to know everybody fantastically well but I think as a community we're really good together, looking out for each other in small ways and most importantly having fun with one another. It's one of the things that makes Uni life one of the best times, ever.
01

No comments: