Sunday, February 17, 2008

P.S I Love You

PSLOVE

It was brilliant. The poster's terrible though. It looks terribly cheesy and cliche. Someone should get it changed. But I think positive word of mouth will save the film from the movie's lousy poster. Could there be any poster more unoriginal?

Directed by the same man who gave us Freedom Writers (one of my favourite movies last year), Richard LaGravenese, P.S I Love You is a fast-paced, hilarious romantic drama that moved and tickled me to tears. I've read that some critics thought Hilary Swank looked out of place in a romantic comedy or something to that effect, but I thought she was really good! Same goes for Gerard Butler. The transformation from Spartan to charming Irishman couldn't have been more disarming.

How much do they pay Lisa Kudrow to appear in this movie? Because they really should be giving her double! She was bloody hilarious and gave a movie a punch and a kick to life, even when it wasn't needed. I don't really watch Friends but am aware of her awesomeness! She should really have skipped on the botox though! Other small-screen actors that played a supporting role include James Masters (Spike from Buffy) and the really amazing Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Danny Duquette from Grey's Anatomy). I was always pissed with his character on Grey's because he stole Izzie from Alex (cue loud collective BOO) and thought he looked like a rat. But he too managed to shake away his previous roles and step into one of a suave Irish pub singer convincingly. I thought that was brilliant considering I've always thought he was ratty...

The story is out of this world. It completely blew my mind. I don't know if it'll appeal to others but... It's well constructed. There's nothing that's expected of this film. It's not just like any other throw-away romantic comedy. It's better. I shan't spoil it by giving away what goes on in the movie, but it's basically about death and letters.

And watch out for the opening argument scene. If I wrote a dialogue like that for my playwriting class, I think I'll get A+ without attending any more lessons!

Denise Hennessey: [Denise is admiring Ted as he walks by] Ooohhh, he's delicious isn't he? I'd serve coffee on that ass.
John McCarthy: Do you have to be so vulgar about men? Like they're pieces of meat?
Denise Hennessey: I'm sorry, John. I forgot you're sensitive about your flat ass.
John McCarthy: You know, Denise, that's why you're not married. Women act like men. Then they complain men don't want them.
Denise Hennessey: Oh, is that why? 'Cause I thought it was something different. I thought that it was 'cause I deserved the best and he's out there. He's just with all the wrong women. And let me be clear. After CENTURIES of men looking at my tits instead of my eyes and pinching my ass instead of shaking my hand, I now have the *DIVINE* right to stare at a man's BACKSIDE with vulgar, cheap appreciation if I want to!

01

No comments: