Monday, January 25, 2010

Walking the Walk

I was walking down Orchard Road today in my cheap G2000 office wear. That's a $23 shirt, $29 pants and my shoes from Bata were "free". I was carrying that awkward, red Crumpler which looked decent but hardly sophisticated. I had my earphones on, hands in my pocket and an air of after-work glee. Gone were the tension accumulated from getting squashed on public transport and completing reports by deadlines.

A man, not much older than myself, waved his hand in front of my face. Out of politeness and my inexplicable good mood, I stopped, took out one of my earphones and waited for him to speak. He told me that he was a representative from a modelling agency and that I looked good and was well-dressed. His exact words were lost on me because I didn't really take what he said seriously. He asked if I was camera shy and answered the question himself, saying that I probably wasn't. He handed me his name card and said I had a nice smile. That was when I gave a small smile. He must not have noticed my teeth. He asked for my name, age and number, which I gave.

r01

I'm not going to lie - I was happy. I have always complained to my friends that the only talent that I have as a CS student is that I look decent and even then, I don't "spoil market". If I were good looking, I'd probably be on the sides of buses, on television screens or in the pages of fashion magazines. And I probably would've gotten that Long John Silvers' ad!

But of course, I am not.

And I've heard of scams where people get approached, called to the agency, fork out hundreds to shoot a portfolio and never land a job. I won't fall for that! I certainly will not let vanity cloud my better judgement.

Whatever it turns out to be, it was a rather amusing encounter. I must say, it made my day!

01

2 comments:

Stanley said...

LOL! Hahahaha! This is hilarious. Lol. Dude, remember that talk we had? You should MILK what your mama and papa gave you before you become old and wrinkly and ancient.

Besides, you are so damn free can. Just call the guy and see what he wants. If they ask you fork out money for anything then leave and throw the card into the recyle bin (not the incinerator 'cos we must be eco-friendly ok?).

Do it for the money. If it works out, all you have to do is show up, smile and earn moolah. Damn awesome job no? Not everyone has the opportunity to do it, so since the opportunity has presented itself, give it a try.

Besides, you share your idol's penchant for the camera, so might as well let it earn you dollars. Just control yourself and abandon ship if they ask you to pay for anything.

jason kyh said...

hahahah well in fact my friend says that he's been approached before and they will make u pay for ur own portfolio photos or something. im not interested in paying for stuff also... hahaha... so never mind lah. it was all for fun and it was fun so that's all that mattered! =P i have no model dreams!