Friday, January 15, 2010

About Life

It's hard to swallow all the sorrow that's going on in the world right now. I'm exposed to how cruel others can be, from petty crimes to corporate greed. There's a depressing sense of helplessness when I feel that I am just one person and I can't change the grand scheme of things.

Today I wondered if it was better to remain ignorant. It's easy to be ignorant when you're comfortable and you've got nothing to fight for except selfish, materialistic gains. It's hard to balance thinking about others when we're so caught up in our own lives. It has something to do with the environment of course. We're competitive, working within the system, striving for measurable results, caught up in the rat race. How many of us are sure of what we really want?

And instead of doing what we really want, what are we really doing with our lives?

I've learned two things during the course of the week; a week of uncertainty, devastation in Haiti, molestation of an 8-year-old and senseless religious conflict. Take control of where life takes you, because you'll never get to do it again. And make a difference to someone else's whenever you can.

01

No comments: