Sunday, June 18, 2006

All Hail Portugal



Portugal is probably my favourite team, right up there with Argentina. It's all down to that one man, but of course, I've seen them play a match or two during the Euro Cup (by some freak accident) and they are pretty good.

However, last night's match against Iran was nerve-wrecking. I was expecting them to get an early lead so as to play comfortably for the rest of the match. I mean, this seems to be the tactic applied by teams like England and Argentina (because they're the only matches I've watched), so it is to my frustration, as well as theirs, that their attack in the first half failed to bear them any fruit.



Figo, the captain of the Portugese team took a nasty hit on the face when one of the Iranians did a rather high kick. He was bleeding and the cut looked deep, but he stood up after a long while and continued playing anyway. The guy didn't even receive a freaking yellow card! The drama on the field was intense.

The second half saw Deco scoring the first goal for Portugal, assisted by Figo. That was a real good one! It was the kind of goal that I jumped up from my seat and cheered about. I couldn't help but feel relieved for Portugal, especially since they were trying hard, and Iran was doing much better with their passing. There was this group hug and everything but I noticed, or at least I didn't see, Ronaldo joining in.

He's a stuck up guy.

I think that's cool...



...Because he managed to score a goal on his own after he got to take a penalty! Look at the euphoria on that guy's face! And of course after that everyone came over to congratulate him and everything. Haha... In a way he's just like a little kid. He showed his frustration blatantly at not being to score throughout the entire match. He was fast, but the defenders decided to just throw themselves in his way, without even trying to go for the ball. With Ronaldo's control (and a few stunts he pulled like the many consecutive step-overs) it'd be hard for the Iranian defenders to actually tackle the ball from him.

Whatever it is, I think he's got a flair on the field. In addition to that, he brings a very human element to the game. Got to see a lot of his frustration, a meek smile after committing some errors, and of course the smug, satisfied grin when he scored that penalty. Damn good stuff. Introducing my favourite player this world cup, Cristiano Ronaldo.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: