Monday, September 18, 2006

FutureSex / LoveSounds



01. FutureSex/LoveSound
This is a fantastic introduction to the album, where the first words you hear upon popping the album in and pressing play are, "Future.Sex.Love.Sound.". Justin said that he was inspired to name the album as such because most of the songs he made for it contained the words "Sex" and "Love". I think it's a very innovative, attention-grabbing title. It's very danceable, groovy, mid-tempo track. The best lyrical moment here is when he exclaims "Her body's whistled for me I think she's ready to blow!" It's good, but it feels more like a 4 minute long prelude to one of the gems of the album...

02. SexyBack
The tempo's contrast to the previous track becomes evident. The lyrics become a whole lot naughtier as well. What might have been tossed aside as repetitive and utterly lacking in creativity by detractors is lapped up by audiences when this song is performed, as they chant "Go ahead, be gone with it " with overwhelming enthusiasm. I haven't heard such a vocoderised voice in a hit song since Cher's Believe! Other than that, the highly computerised questioning of "You ready?" is replied by a sexed-up female voice saying "Yes.". It's just one of the unique things that can be found in a track full of ideas.

03. Sexy Ladies (Let Me Talk To You Prelude)
"All my other people that dance around/When they hear me rocking the groove/Now it might sound cocky/But is it really cocky if you know that it's true?" It makes me smile whenever I hear that line. However, there's no doubt that the man believes in the music he's making. This is one of those dance songs that tempt you to sing along with it. It doesn't stand out a lot in this album but is subtle to keep the flow of the album going along.

The interesting part is how the prelude is buried at the end of this track. It sounds like Justin's playing in the kitchen (remember Stomp using kitchen knives, forks and pans to make music?) with utensils and all as Timberland takes over the vocal duties with an unknown female voice chanting MYLOVEMYLOVEMYLOVE over and over again. And it continues on and on until it goes on to...



04. My Love
"Ain't no other woman that could take your spot..." startles the listner and signals the beginning of My Love. Images of blinding, flashing disco lights are what come to mind as the electronic music goes into a crescendo. The craziest thing about this song is how much the music sounds so processed, yet the lyrics bring you to a world of lovers chilling out on the beach and the countryside! The only spoken word amongest all the hair-raising falsetto is "because" which comes before the pre-chorus. That one word is filled with cheek! I can't explain the feeling it gives me. T.I. does a non-memorable rap here. As it comes to the end, the chorus contains this spooky soprano in the background. The many layers of music in this song impresses me to no end. My current favourite in the album.

05. LoveStoned (I Think She Knows Interlude)
I think this is the track that has reviewers comparing him to Prince or Michael Jackson. That'll give you a good idea how it sounds like. However, it makes me wonder that if these two great people made great music before my time, how did people come to make cheesy, non-exciting music like... Backstreets Back? Oops. There's plenty of vocal background in this track, plenty of "Dum dum dum...Ahhhh!". (So MJ-ish!) Anyway, I love this track a lot because it's the one that feels like sex - a great build up, explodes into climax and then - the "aftersex".

The "aftersex" in this case would be the interlude. Not content with letting you do a manual shifting of musical gears, Mr Timberlake and gang decided to add in the interlude, which sounds like Keane highjacking this vehicle and Timberlake doing his best Chris Martin impression. The result - delicious.

06. What Goes Around... (...Comes Around Interlude)
Not only is it delicious, it's the thing that makes this album seem so seamless! Hidden under all the electronic machinery and strings churning out the backdrop of this 7-and-a-half-minute musical sensation is a bitter story of JT being cheated on. It got me really emotional when I was singing along to it as I was coming home in the rain the other day. The closest song to Cry Me A River II, just much, much more bitter. A stellar track that'll wipe the memory of Alicia Key's "what goes around, comes around" melody in Karma if this one's made a single. Yet when it seems like the story is at its end, another twist is revealed in the unfaithful ex-lover's life.

In the interlude, the girl gets her karma, when her lover cheats on her. "You spend your nights alone, And he never comes home, And everytime you call him, all you get is a busy tone...You wish you had somebody, That could come and make it right, But girl, I ain't somebody I'm out of sympathy."

Brilliant.

07. Chop Me Up
I shall admit to blatantly hating this track the moment I heard it. Now it's just bearable. If this ever gets released in the USA, it'll do real well, considering their love for such hip-hop tracks. However, it seems that since Billboard made a change into this new era, airplay isn't such an issue any more (too many black radio stations), so this just might not get released. It's not that this track doesn't have its redeeming moments but Timbaland telling us his name is Thomas Crown again when he already did it in Promiscuous, is not one of them. If you like your hip-hop hard, this track's for you.

08. Damn Girl
I think this song is really cool. I'd like to see anyone be able to resist going, "Daaaayumn girl, Damn girl, Daaamn girl, Daaaamn!" along with Timberlake. The difference between the equally sexually-charged-dance-oriented In The Zone and this album must be the lyrics. "I said - Don't need no Maybelline, 'Cause you a beauty queen. Don't need no L'oreal, 'Cause bitch you're bad as hell. If I'm a Casanova? Then you're a supernova!" Will.I.Am kicks in with a really cool rap. It starts off as if he's stuttering, as he goes on to praise the girl to the skies. Ooh yeah... OH OH OH! (That's one of the most prominent sounds in the song... it kinda sounds like... something naughty.) Included is a Senorita moment where I bet he'll urge the crowd to sing along with him. "Something 'bout the way you do the things you do When you do the things you do It's got me Ohh Ohh Ohh!"



09. Summer Love (Set the Mood Prelude)
This is a hot favourite for many fans and if there's ever room for a fifth single or something, this might just be it. He can release it in Summer 2007. With an insistent pounding bass and Justin declaring, "I can't wait to fall in luuuurve with YOU!", it's another one of those tracks that have simple lyrics, but good enough for people to remember instantly without hurting their brains and singing it along to it, even if you've heard it for the first time. I think that touring has given him a lot of inspiration for this album and he knows how important it is to get audience participation when he's performing a song. Sidetracking a bit, he's really hardworking. He performs one big concert at night, and later in the AMs, he goes to a nice club and continues with a chill-out performance on a stool, with his songs stripped down to focus on his voice.

The prelude is much-needed to, as said in the title, "Set the Mood". It introduces the first real ballad on the album.

10. Until the End of Time
And the mood is set right with this slow groove. It reminds me a little bit of Usher, except with the difference in vocal techniques. It also urges the audience to sing along with him, " This one's for the lovers, let me hear you say Yeah yeah yeah!" The lyrics are really pretty in this one too. It makes a good listen and binds the album together, but I think it's quite forgettable.

11. Losing My Way
I think I need to get a grip on myself before I start jumping up and down on the chair shouting about how awesome this track is. The reviews I read picked at the song for its simple lyrics ("Hi my name is Bob, and I work at my job.") and say that Justin's trying too hard to be reflective. However I think the vague lyrics set out to do what it was supposed to - allow people to relate, no matter how diverse their problems may be. The part that really gets to me are the simple words in the chorus, " Can anybody out there hear me, cos I can't seem to hear myself?... There's got to be a heaven somewhere, can you save me from this hell?" The mood intensifies and the simple sorrow and self-doubt becomes overwhelming till the voices burst into gospel, not unlike Madonna's Like A Prayer.



12. (Another Song) All Over Again
Probably for the first time in the entire album, I hear an instrument I recognise - the piano. It's quietness is deafening in contrast to the rest of the album. It's a minimalistic ballad with Justin's voice taking centrestage. He once commented that he thought Christina Aguilera was probably the best vocalist of our generation, but he's not too far off the standard himself! This is a song that tugs at the heartstrings. If you remember my theory about this album being one huge orgasm, this track would be the aftersex. Bringing the mood down, the song's a perfect end to the album, especially with the lyrics "Cos I'll give you my heart, If you will let me start all over again."

It's just a subtle hint for you to play the album for another song over again. Again. And again. That sneaky fella.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: