Sunday, September 17, 2006

JKYH Top 20 (63)



01. SexyBack - Justin Timberlake (2) 10

02. Qian Li Zhi Wai - Jay Chou ft Fei Yu Qing (2) 4
03. My Love - Justin Timberlake ft T.I. (NEW)
04. Rooftops - Lost Prophets (-1) 5
05. Supermassive Black Hole - Muse (+2) 4
06. Get Up - Ciara (-1) 6
07. Crystal Ball - Keane (+5) 3
08. Call Me When You're Sober - Evanescence (+1) 5
09. Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off - Panic! At the Disco (+4) 3
10. Maneater - Nelly Furtado (+4) 6
11. Ring The Alarm - Beyonce (+6) 2
12. Guai Guai Pai - Jolin (+4) 3
13. London Bridge - Fergie (-9) 7
14. Screwed/Turn It Up - Paris Hilton (-8) 5
15. Happiness - Orson (+3) 2
16. Olia - David Tao (-1) 3
17. Black Fingernails, Red Wine - Eskimo Joe (-6) 5
18. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol (NEW)
19. No Tomorrow - Orson (-11) 9
20. Love Story - Fan Yi Chen (-1) 2

Surprise, or non-surprise, this week's #1 yet again, is Justin Timberlake. I suppose a bigger surprise would be that of his new song making a debut at #3. My Love ft T.I. is a song with a bit of techno combined an obligatory rap performance. You'd think you've heard it all before, but it's so refreshing and so good that a lot of people who have heard the track have told me that it's nothing short of brilliant. You should at least give it a chance. Multiple listens will have you hooked.

At #10 is Nelly Furtado's Maneater. It was on its way down the chart last week and I think the rebound can be accounted for by her fantastic performance at Fashion Rocks. I was impressed by how into the song she was. Her enthusiasm was overwhelming. Also the thing that she was wearing. Links to her performance as well as The Pussycat Dolls, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna and Beyonce can be found on esotism's LJ.

At #11 this week is Beyonce's Ring The Alarm. Her album sold a shocking 541 000 copies in the USA in its first week, trumping Aguilera's 346 000. Please don't tell me that the worth of an artist is not (at least partially) judged by album sales, I won't hear of it. Ring The Alarm also debuts high on the Hot 100, at #12 this week on the strength of digital sales.

If Toxic was bloody released in the Billboard era where digital sales were accounted for, it'd be #1 for weeks. Tuh.

At #12 is Jolin, who has a new song called Wei Wu Du Zhun. I've heard it, and I'm not very impressed. It was meant to be a bloody cool dance track, but I think I've been hearing a bit too much of innovation from Justin's album that I expect too much from every new (dance) track I hear now! Wei Wu Du Zhun needs a bit of a boost as it doesn't sound sexy, nasty, nor different from anything she's done before. She doesn't need a dance instructor from overseas - she needs a producer.

At #18 is the only new entry this week, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. There has been a lot of hype over the song for weeks, but I guess I'm pretty slow on the uptake. I think you guys probably know more about the song than I do! It moves up one notch to #6 on Billboard this week. I love how it starts quiet and then builds up to a great climax. Snow Patrol are from Nothern Ireland (all you Social Studies people should be familiar with the place!) and their lead singer and chief songwriter Gary Lightbody says this about the band, "There are swaggering bands, bands who are in your face. And then there are bands who get hold of you somewhere else. I think it’s a heart thing, an intimacy thing. Like you know them and they know you. I think we are one of those bands." Check out their website here.

New tracks that I'm introducing this week are Christina Aguilera - Hurt, Naomi Streimer - Cars, Lemar - It's Not That Easy, Muse - Starlight, Jamelia - Something About You, Rapture - Get Myself Into It, Lostprophets - A Town Called Hypocrisy, Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats, Good Charlotte - Keep Your Hands Off My Girl, My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade and lastly, Roger Sanchez - Lost.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: