Friday, March 14, 2008

The Betrayal I

[Jessica enters the scene. She’s back from shopping. Edwin is sitting on the sofa reading a magazine and barely glances up to look at Jessica.]

Jessica: Hi darling...

Edwin: Hi babe.

J: Look what I’ve bought! I got this Levi’s polo-T for you. Remember the time when we were rushing to the meeting and you saw this on display and you wanted to buy it but we didn’t have the time? Well, I went down and bought it for you. See if you like it. I think white really brings out your tan.

E: Thanks. Leave it on the sofa. I’ll try it on later.

J: So... have you seen my work? The documents about the modelling agency?

E: You mean the ones in the thumbdrive?

J: Yes. I was up the entire night doing it. I didn’t know compiling our ideas would take up so much time!

E: No I haven’t seen it. I was too busy.

J: You didn’t? But you said you would!

E: I have confidence in your work, babe. I passed it to James the moment I saw him.

J: Has he said anything about it?

E: No.

J: No... This can’t be happening. Ed, we’ve got to get it back.

E: Whatever for?

J: There are... photos...

E: What photos?

J: Photos of me and... Justin.

E: (puts down magazine) What? Why would there be photos of you and Justin?

J: We took them after the meeting. Just for fun.

E: Why didn’t you take any with James?

J: He wasn’t around, I think.

E: I had no idea that you and Justin were that close. The meeting was over within minutes.

J: He was probably high.

E: So what’s the rush with getting the thumbdrive?

J: Well... I just don’t want other people to see them. (Jessica looks away.) They’re personal.

E: Jessica. How personal can photos of acquaintances be?

J: (long pause) I slept with him.

E: You what?

J: They were photos of me and him. Sleeping. Together.

E: No!

J: Yes.

E: Why?

J: Because... well...

E: Why?

J: It’s your fault!

E: What did I do!

J: You ignored me!

E: I did not!

J: That night. The night when we had that meeting..

E: What are you talking about! We hung out with my friends after that damn meeting!

J: No! When I was with you it was as if I wasn’t even there!

E: Nonsense.

J: I had no one to talk to. I could count the words you said to me with my two hands! I wasn’t expecting much. You could have just turn to talk to me every once in awhile. Make a conversation with me. If I’m the one you want to be with for the rest of your life, surely you could’ve given me some attention! I was waiting for you to talk to me. But you didn’t.

E: You’re being ridiculous. (Throws magazine across the room, gets up and wants to leave.) I don’t even want to talk to you right now.

J: (Grabs Edwin’s arm urgently.) You didn’t even look at me! Edwin. For the entire hour I was there beside you, you didn’t look at me. You didn’t talk to me. You didn’t even hold my hand. I wasn’t there even though I was. There. You didn’t even look at me!

E: But we were there! Together! (pause) You said that we’d still be able to appear as individuals in front of our friends. What happened to that? (Jessica is speechless.)You could have joined the conversation. I wasn’t ignoring you.

J: Why couldn’t you have included me in the conversation?

E: Why couldn’t you have joined in? It would’ve been really stupid of me to say, “Oh, those were the days. Being in Army was just the best. By the way, look at Jess’ new bag. I bought it from Gucci. Ain’t it gorgeous?”.

J: You were talking about the Army!

E: And you slept with Justin! (long pause) I never thought you’d be the kind to sleep with another man.

J: I didn’t... it was a mistake. I’m sorry. I love you. I really do. You know it. I didn’t do it on purpose. It’s my fault. Please? Don’t ignore me. I didn’t mean to... Really.

E: We’ve got to get it back before they see it.

J: Let me go with you.

E: No.

J: I caused all this.

E: I can handle it.

J: But I want to help.

E: Do whatever you want.


A big shoutout to the people who made this come to life: Liqi, Colin, Yiling, Steph, Michael, Ros, Nas, Helmi and Diya. Thanks!
01

No comments: