Friday, June 25, 2010

First Time In Jakarta

I had a bit of a culture shock when I got there.

More often than not, I travel budget. I take the budget airlines and do the cheapest stuff. This time around though, it was somewhat fantastic because I was going there for my cousin's wedding and he had made all the necessary arrangements - from transport to accommodation - for us. We stayed in this penthouse with a gorgeous view. The only problem though was that it was inaccessible. However my cousin's wife arranged for drivers to pick us up whenever we needed transport out of the place. I consider it a real luxury. The roads were crazy and the drivers were insane. There were hardly any traffic lights. Everyone drove like their lives depended on it and they were really skilled!

My cousin and his wife took us to great places for food. We had a bit of a tea break where there was this awesome dish that was banana with cheese and chocolate stuff sprinkled on top. It is possibly my favourite dish there. The satay was good too. In the evening we went to this Chinese restaurant and they had mouth-watering chinese food. The most impressive thing we had all night was this fruit juice mix that was served out of test-tubes. It was not the first time I'd seen something like this but it is decidedly novel.

I enjoyed hanging around and the shopping, except that for most part, the people there spoke Bahasa and it was somewhat challenging to communicate with them sometimes. Singapore is such an anomaly this way! Despite being in the heart of Southeast-Asia, English is our working language.

More on the luxury wedding next entry!

a01

a02

a03

a04

a05

a07

a06

01

No comments: