Sunday, May 08, 2005

Overseas Community Involvment Project Thailand 2003 I



Yep. On the 6th of Dec, a group of us and 4 teachers went to Thailand to do OCIP.

It was only my second trip overseas (first one to Malacca, Malaysia) and my first time taking a plane! It was an amazing trip really. We went to the village of Ban Jalae which was somewhere in the hills to build an extension of a museum which was built by our seniors. We went there to experience a different culture and to learn from them. It's not a one way thing. What we gained from the experience is not something that can be bought with money. Also, the bonding between collegemates that we'd never have come across during a normal day in NYJC was something that was something of value that was gained from the trip.

Living in a place with absolutely no electricity, we got the chance to use oil lamps at night. Well, we did cheat a little and use our torchlights but it was really dark at night. So dark that the little light from the moon was able to help us along at night. The food there was also quite interesting, although some of my other friends would disagree. Their cooking style is different and the food has a unique taste. Very memorable. Also, there was a ritual carried out specially for us because too many of us were getting injured and all that! It's for blessing and then we got to eat some porridge cooked with the meat of freshly killed pig (correct me if I'm wrong, can't remember the animal). That was kind of scary because the meat was actually just fat and it was tough to bite and everything about it tasted weird.

I was also the medic there and I pasted more plasters than I ever will in this lifetime! There's so many stories to tell about that place. It was in many ways a life-changing experience I guess I'll just have to start on it another time! Posted by Hello

No comments: