Saturday, June 25, 2005

- I N I T I A L D -



After booking out yesterday (which I waited for so long to do), I went out with Van to the cinema at Balestier. I was so glad to see her come back safe and sound from her OCIP trip in Thailand. A lot of cool things happened and she had so much to tell, from the appreciation of the locals' hospitality to the challenging trek to the villages atop the hills.

Anyway, we caught Initial D.

The media hype has reached an insane level this week with Jay Chou, Edison Chen and Shawn Yue coming to promote this movie. In fact, they've been on the cover of Life! for two days in a row. Most impressive publicity I must say.

I think the movie is a rather entertaining one, but I guess I expected too much from it so it was kind of a let down in some sense. Also, I was quite tired towards the end so I didn't appreciate what every journo has described as 'one hell of an exciting car race'. There's a lot of humour in the movie. As a huge fan of Jay Chou and watching him in his first movie ever, I felt kind of embarrassed and proud at the same time. His portrayal of the sometimes shy yet cool-behind-the-wheels character was somewhat similar to himself. Shy (well he used to be) at press conferences but assumes an air of confidence when it comes to music. At certain parts of the movie, he kind of looked like his Fantasy album days. The presence of Edison Chen added the much needed coolness to the movie. The co-stars were pretty outstanding as well.

As for the cinematography, too much of a good thing bores the hell out of me. And I thought the soundtrack was somewhat inappropriate as well too. I might just watch it a second time to appreciate it better.

Don't get me wrong, it still is a cool movie and one worth watching. Unique in its comical portrayal of its characters yet at the same time featuring the very serious concept of car-racing and the technique of drifting, this is one movie that you won't find easy to forget. I give it a 3.5/5.

In the meantime, I'm eagerly anticipating another comic-book-turn-movie - Fantastic 4. Staring the likes of Jessica Alba and Chris Evans...



It's going to be hot.

No comments: